Help***DIY Pod Filter installation 96 levin***

jude austin

Hey there

i want install a pod filter on my 1996 levin silvertop but it doesnt have a air flow meter (AFM) its has a air temp sensor that plugs into the stock airbox, but obviously you cant plug it into the pod filter.

Not Sure how to do it. please help.

I uploaded some pics of the car, air filter, MAF sensor and engine here.

SDC10145.jpg

SDC10147.jpg

SDC10148.jpg

SDC10149.jpg

thanks.

Edited by jude austin

Remove the rubber intake hose and replace it with metal piping. Then drill a hole the same size as your intake box into the metal piping. Place a rubber grommet in the hole to make sure your sensor gets a good fit. Done :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For the cheapest pod filter setup, you'll be doing a short ram intake (SRI) with the stock piping. (This is how i would do it)

Take the airbox out and the stock piping. Pull out the old drill and drill a hole the same size as the diameter of the sensor. Make sure the sensor fits nicely and then clean the hole up a bit. Then get some silicone and squirt a small circle around of the hole (not in) and let it dry; don't put the sensor in right now. After it's dry, put the sensor back in. Having this puts a nice little seal around the sensor, like a permanent o-ring. Get an adaptor to fit onto the end of the pipe and pod filter and put it together. You're done!

This is only a short ram intake (SRI). It still sucks hot air from the engine bay. Great for the induction noise. If you want, you can make it a cold air intake (CAI), but that requires more work and creativity, if you decide to make your own. You might be able to buy one, but i don't think it's worth the money.

Even though this thread is a few months old now, I feel the need to point out that you don't actually have a silvertop, you have a 4AFE. Plus, the silvertop is an AFM engine and the 4AFE MAP, and I can clearly see the MAP sensor (not MAF) on the firewall.

But, probably the best thing you can do is something like this:

P1060137.jpg

P1060143.jpg

P1060143.jpg

There's a pod filter in the guard (where the resonator normally sits), with the splashguard pulled open to act as a makeshift air scoop. Some day I'll probably bend up a proper alloy scoop, but for the moment the splashguard will do (and I'm looking for an FX-GT front bar anyway, where I can use the fog-light hole)