Upgrade Instrument Cluster

nigel_roden

Hi All,

New to the forums here. I have a vehicle supplied by work (Camry Altise 2008) and was wondering if it is possible to update the instrument cluster from the basic 'type 1' to the higher spec 'type 2' (This is what they are called in the owners manual). Has anyone done this, and if so, where could I track down a part number/supplier. If anyone has done anything similar to this I would love to hear from them.

Cheers,

Nigel

At this point in time, you only have two options available to you. You could either buy the part directly from Toyota, but be prepared to spend A LOT of money, or alternatively you can try your luck and search around the wreckers for any ones that have crashed, which should then save you a little (but it would still cost a bit). If you would like to get the part number, just ring up or stop over at your nearest Toyota spare parts department. That's what I do whenever I need a part number... it doesn't take much effort for them to bring it up in their system.

With the cost of it, you should look into upgrading to the Aurion's Optitron gauges. They look much better than the Camry offerings.

Thanks for the reply DJKOR,

I will follow up the cost of the part from toyota parts, but it sounds like it will cost a bit. You mention about the optitron gauges. Are these easily installed into the camry? I mainly wanted to get a trip computer feature, as my work are to cheap to buy anything but the base model.

Cheers,

Nigel

At this point in time, you only have two options available to you. You could either buy the part directly from Toyota, but be prepared to spend A LOT of money, or alternatively you can try your luck and search around the wreckers for any ones that have crashed, which should then save you a little (but it would still cost a bit). If you would like to get the part number, just ring up or stop over at your nearest Toyota spare parts department. That's what I do whenever I need a part number... it doesn't take much effort for them to bring it up in their system.

With the cost of it, you should look into upgrading to the Aurion's Optitron gauges. They look much better than the Camry offerings.

Fitting it in would be as simple as a swap as they share the same size. The one thing that may require some further work is certain sensors. In general upgrading yours on your Camry to the one on the Camry Sportivo or the one on the Aurion AT-X should be a direct plug-and-play. The Optitron meter with Multi-information display available on the Aurion Sportivo requires extra wires as there are additional sensors for the thermometer/fuel consumption display. Nothing that can't be done, just requires a little effort.

In my opinion though, it is not worth it for the extra benefit that you get, unless you can find one really cheap. I imagine it being towards the $1000 mark or greater.

Fitting it in would be as simple as a swap as they share the same size. The one thing that may require some further work is certain sensors. In general upgrading yours on your Camry to the one on the Camry Sportivo or the one on the Aurion AT-X should be a direct plug-and-play. The Optitron meter with Multi-information display available on the Aurion Sportivo requires extra wires as there are additional sensors for the thermometer/fuel consumption display. Nothing that can't be done, just requires a little effort.

In my opinion though, it is not worth it for the extra benefit that you get, unless you can find one really cheap. I imagine it being towards the $1000 mark or greater.

Nuts. I have moved from our previous fleet vehicle (VZ commodore wagon executive to the altise) and gee I miss the trip computer read out. I have been spoilt and while it's no prob to manually calculate the fuel economy, it's nice to have an instantanious readout. I have just clocked up our first 4,000 km and the fuel economy seems to be getting better all the time. Any one else with an 08 camry and what sort of econ. do they see.

Cheers,

Nigel