Air box modification

MyRomeo

Well after it was suggested in another thread I thought what the heck, lets have a go at this...

Plan was to remove the 'snorkel' and replace it with a straight, wider pipe that was then taken to behind the fog light area. The donor pipe came from a MG TF160 ;)

I started by stripping everything out of the way, that is, battery, air box, fuse box and slam panel cover...

Removed the snorkel (its only held on by two bolts, one on the front and one at the bottom, this one snapped off.. oh well!

Noticed that the 2ZZ-GE or at least the UK spec DOES have a resonator box. oh well. byebye!

Fitted the new pipe and secured it with a 3mm self tapping screw in to the airbox. Fed straight down to the bumper area no problems at all and retained a straight path.

Comparison of original vs new:

Photo0005.jpg

As you can see the original is very 'wiggly' and goes thru various widths, not ideal for air flow.

Route of pipe to front:

Photo0006.jpg

Plenty space there and is well clear of anything important ;)

Fitment in to air box:

Photo0007.jpg

Nice and secure!

I have also removed the vac pipe from the butterfly and plan on fitting a cold air feed to this opening in the airbox also, I have another pipe similar to the one used above and will route this opening to the wing area.

Took it out for a drive after a ECU reset and I must say it certainly sounds mean! too early to tell if it has made any performance difference but hey, its worth it for the sound alone! I took this sound clip going from 2500>8000rpm... Not great but gives you the idea ;)

Clicky (amr audio file, tiny!)

What do you think? Did I do well? :)

I blocked the vac pipe so it doesn't cause any issues with the ECU or anything related to it, its been fine so far and sounds mean! Might give it a try connected at some point to see if it makes any difference.

good job, i might do this to mine if my cai voids my warranty..

btw ive heard of alot of people talking about resetting the ecu when changing their air filter to a cai or changing the snorkel. why is this?

can you tell me how to do this please, so i can do it once i get my car!

thanks heaps1

good job, i might do this to mine if my cai voids my warranty..

btw ive heard of alot of people talking about resetting the ecu when changing their air filter to a cai or changing the snorkel. why is this?

can you tell me how to do this please, so i can do it once i get my car!

thanks heaps1

so maf can learn the new intake.

if u didnt reset if the air flow changed the ecu would freak out

I just removed the snorkel etc. from mine and left it and the sound is great. The car revs easier now. I did not reset the ecu and had no problems. The ecu learns the new airflow on its own gradually anyway. Resetting just speeds up the process.