help with engine oil..

markie31

i bought engine oil "penrite" yesterday at autobarn..

5w-30 is what i should have right...?

but the lady gave me 5w-40... i just saw it when i got home and i already chuck the receipt...

lucky i haven't change the oil yet..

my Q is can i use 5w-40 that i bought, will i ****** up my engine or what so ever or just buy a new one...?

Edited by markie31

5w-40 is still fine.

the numbers simply represent the viscosity of the oil at different temperatures. the first number is the viscosity rating at a cold start, and the second number is the viscosity rating at normal operating temperature.

considering your car is a 2000 model, its most likely is getting a few km's on it and thus a bit more wear. the thicker oil at normal operating temperature will probably be a bit better than lighter viscosity oils because there will generally be a higher load rating, thus less chance of damage due to insufficient lubrication on tappets, etc.. it depends greatly upon the condition of the engine. considering that your celica is a high-revving 4 banger, i would probably stick with the 5w-40. i think thinner oils will show the signs of engine wear more than thicker oils.

but i'm not an expert, so don't think what i'm saying is 100% true. there are many factors to consider with oils.

the bottom-line is, it won't do you car harm! :D

Edited by lateralus

i bought engine oil "penrite" yesterday at autobarn..

5w-30 is what i should have right...?

but the lady gave me 5w-40... i just saw it when i got home and i already chuck the receipt...

lucky i haven't change the oil yet..

my Q is can i use 5w-40 that i bought, will i ****** up my engine or what so ever or just buy a new one...?

The standard oil for most Toyota 4s is hpr5 , however , depending on the age of the car you can use hpr10 or hpr15

the oil you have is fine , dont worry .

For new corollas Toyota uses 10w-30 in Australia where here its warm. Say in Canada or Europe where it gets -30, they use thinner oil like 0w-20 or 30.

5w-40 for your car will be fine. I just picked up 5w-30 Mobil1 fully synth for my car.

5w-40 is still fine.

the numbers simply represent the viscosity of the oil at different temperatures. the first number is the viscosity rating at a cold start, and the second number is the viscosity rating at normal operating temperature.

considering your car is a 2000 model, its most likely is getting a few km's on it and thus a bit more wear. the thicker oil at normal operating temperature will probably be a bit better than lighter viscosity oils because there will generally be a higher load rating, thus less chance of damage due to insufficient lubrication on tappets, etc.. it depends greatly upon the condition of the engine. considering that your celica is a high-revving 4 banger, i would probably stick with the 5w-40. i think thinner oils will show the signs of engine wear more than thicker oils.

but i'm not an expert, so don't think what i'm saying is 100% true. there are many factors to consider with oils.

the bottom-line is, it won't do you car harm! :D

yo how r ya i like u