Toyota Corona "83 XT130

Xeion

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd post my Corona on here to gain some suggestions on modding it further.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction and answer my questions.

I'm not the type of person to keep things stock - so those who are, please don't flame.

Nothing has been professionally done.

I know this is a strange question, but has anyone installed Scissor Doors onto a pre-90's car?

Was interested in buying a kit (~$500) and would get them installed by a pro (if it's possible of course)

Also trying to source some parts. e.g. front bar, interior etc.

If anyone can help me out, lmk.

Was thinking about getting a decent engine setup (suggestions) and possibly a bodykit?

Will need to take a better shot when I have time...

post-11297-1231401368_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xeion

Don't go scissor doors. They look stupid on anything less than a Lambo or Koenigsegg, especially on sedans. On a more positive note though, I really do like those wheels.

As for engines, turf the 1X as soon as possible. It's essentially a Holden red six with 2 cylinders lopped off, and is worth more to someone as a boat anchor than as an engine. Good replacements include a 22RE (available on RT142 Coronas), 18R or 18RG (various Coronas and Celicas), or for something with more poke go a 1GGTE or 1JZ.

First of all I cannot recommend the scissor door mod to you. We have them on my fiance's 300zx and have had nothing but trouble and three seperate workshops have had a go at fixing them. Yes they can be done on a pre 90's car. I have seen it on a Valiant Charger although it looked quite strange. if you do plan to go ahead with it make sure you see a cra that the workshop has done and have a good look at it before you let anyone butcher your car. Do not try to save money on this mod. Our car now is unable to be driven in the rain as it leaks so badly. Also the pistons are unable to lift the wight of the door but they are able to keep them up but it is impossible to lift it from inside the car. Also........ the words "universal kit" and "scissor doors" do not belong in the same sentence.

Now............. I would like to suggest an alternative if you are so keen to mod your doors. Make your front doors suicide doors. Easier mod as far as the problems I have just mentioned with the scissor doors. The doors just open in the reverse way. You could do this to your back doors as well, or in fact weld up your back doors completely and confuse everyone with this 2 door early 80's corona they have seen. Go one step further and shave your door handles and have them open on the remote. Just a suggestion, but seriously scissor doors can give you grief.

By the way. the rims on the car in the picture look good. Be careful with a bodykit for this car. It's a fine line in the 80's between making a car looking individual and making it look like a tram. Personally most 80's cars with a bodykit look like a tram to me. It was the era of "Creative Cars" bodykits where they tried to make Celica's look like Ferrari's, VW's look like Porsche's, Statesmans look like Rolls Royce's and XJS and XJ6 Jaguars look like god know what. Nothing good can come of that.

In my opinion you could make that car look incredible with some rolled guards and some serious slamming. Find a way to get some cool chrome bumpers happening and lose the side moulds, mud flaps and eye level brake light. Retrim the interior to match whatever respray colour you are going for assuming that is part of your plan also. Instead of having a huge canon out the back maybe try two 2inch pipes out each side but you back box needs to split to both otherwise you look stupid on a cold morning when people can see one side isn't hooked up.

Having said all that, personally I would keep the car original, slam it, whitewall the tyres, put a venetian blind in the back window and a visor over the front screen. Thats just because I have modified lots of cars and am over it now and like to see a nice poppa spec cruiser.

Let us know what you plans are mate.

Thanks you so much Chobis!

Will no longer think about the Scissor doors, but will look into the Suicides instead.

Do you have a ballpark figure on costs though? I haven't had time to check out any local shops.

Also won't be getting a bodykit. Only trouble now is I have to source out some chrome bummers that will fit.

Already have it on lowered King Springs, wouldn't be able to get in and out of my driveway. The roads round here arn't flash either, otherwise I would've gone the super low.

It currently has a small hole in the exhaust, which would be my reason for doing the mod you suggested.

Know what you mean about the engine, Hiro.

I've been tossing up if I should remove mine as it's only done 85,000k's.

That said I've been looking for the 1GGTE, but have had no luck finding one. As for the 1JZ I haven't researched or know much about it

i have owned one of these cars and i can tell you they are excelent for the money you pay if the car is a good example. I was going to do some things to mine but i lost interest and sold it unfortunatly. My thoughts were to slam it and put some nice deep dish 15" wheels on with flared gaurds and so on to suit the age of the vehicle. I think the main problem people have when placing aftermarket items on a car is keeping it realistic to the cars use , vintage and nature.

Now in my eyes a 22-RE motor is an excelent option, but , seing your motor has very very low km's on it and if it runs well keep it and let it serve out some more time as they are worth nothing to sell and if it's the celica powerplant ( 21-RC ) your onto a reliable and trustworthy piece of machinery.

hope this helps!

Now in my eyes a 22-RE motor is an excelent option, but , seing your motor has very very low km's on it and if it runs well keep it and let it serve out some more time as they are worth nothing to sell and if it's the celica powerplant ( 21-RC ) your onto a reliable and trustworthy piece of machinery.

hope this helps!

If it's an XT130, then it's the 1X Starfire POS (as I noted above). Pretty sure only the RT133 liftbacks had an R-series engine, unless of course this one has had an engine change in it's lifetime...

hope this helps!

If it's an XT130, then it's the 1X Starfire POS (as I noted above). Pretty sure only the RT133 liftbacks had an R-series engine, unless of course this one has had an engine change in it's lifetime...

I had an 83 Model with factory 21-RC

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd post my Corona on here to gain some suggestions on modding it further.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction and answer my questions.

I'm not the type of person to keep things stock - so those who are, please don't flame.

Nothing has been professionally done.

I know this is a strange question, but has anyone installed Scissor Doors onto a pre-90's car?

Was interested in buying a kit (~$500) and would get them installed by a pro (if it's possible of course)

Also trying to source some parts. e.g. front bar, interior etc.

If anyone can help me out, lmk.

Was thinking about getting a decent engine setup (suggestions) and possibly a bodykit?

Will need to take a better shot when I have time...

post-11297-1231401368_thumb.jpg

ok my opinion not that it counts but i think you cant make a corona look good so why not make it a perpose built drift car i mean you could almost get a 1 or 2j in that engine bay and i enfasize almost but a 3sgte is a definate fit and you'll get 400hp outa 1 of those things now thats a competitive drift car

you can't? thats interesting maybe you should visit some nostalgic japanese web sites and check out some of the examples on there maybe you will see that anyting can be made to look good and respectable

• 4 weeks later...

Mini update: Got a new 2" exhaust/muffler system as the old one had a hole in it - $260 installed.

Also removed the eye level brake light (thanks Chobis) lol.

I've been researching <$2000 engine+gearbox setups and have come across an: Toyota Supra "96 SZ-R 225hp 2JZ-GE Motor

And 5 Stage Auto Gearbox. Comes with, ECU, LOOM, radiator, intake, extractors and down pipe. The motor has done 101,000ks.

For $1500.

Will this setup fit in engine bay etc? Or are there other cheaper options around?

Appreciate any info and help.

Lucky I haven't found one yet.

Been asking around and have been told I'll need an engineering certificate (or something like that) under new laws.

Probably should have checked that...

What are my other options for generating more from my current/stock engine or other solutions?