Prado 3.4lt Petrol engine adopted by Hilux

maba

Hi,

I own a 2001 Prado which has blown its engine at 58,000k's and now searching for a used engine to replace mine. I have been advised that the Prado 3.4lt petrol engine was adopted by the Hilux at one stage to boost sales and I could use this engine with one modification required the sump cover needs to be swapped. If anyone has any advise regarding this scenario please advise.

Regards,

Maba

Edited by maba

Hi,

I own a 2001 Prado which has blown its engine at 58,000k's and now searching for a used engine to replace mine. I have been advised that the Prado 3.4lt petrol engine was adopted by the Hilux at one stage to boost sales and I could use this engine with one modification required the sump cover needs to be swapped. If anyone has any advise regarding this scenario please advise.

Regards,

Maba

You are correct, the 5VZFE that was used in the Prado was also used in the Hilux, VZN167-172 (2002-2004 I think). Knowing Toyota, it is most likely that the sump would need to be changed, but as far as I know the rest of the engine is the same, at least similar enough to allow the block + head + internals to be swapped and the plumbing/electricals remain from before. Don't quote me though, I'd consult a mechanic (or even Toyota themselves) before making any firm decisions.

Hi,

Regards,

Maba

You are correct, the 5VZFE that was used in the Prado was also used in the Hilux, VZN167-172 (2002-2004 I think). Knowing Toyota, it is most likely that the sump would need to be changed, but as far as I know the rest of the engine is the same, at least similar enough to allow the block + head + internals to be swapped and the plumbing/electricals remain from before. Don't quote me though, I'd consult a mechanic (or even Toyota themselves) before making any firm decisions.

Thanks,

My aim is to get an engine out of the 04 model which would get me a lower milage engine. Thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Maba