dashboard crack

kdeito

Just wondering if anyone has experienced dashboard crack. I have an 03 Prado GXL with 73,000k on it, always had a dash mat, garaged, original owner, not abused, and a crack has appeared right along the leading edge above the gauges and down the right hand side.

post-11836-1232413559_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondering if anyone has experienced dashboard crack. I have an 03 Prado GXL with 73,000k on it, always had a dash mat, garaged, original owner, not abused, and a crack has appeared right along the leading edge above the gauges and down the right hand side.

My 2003 Prado GX has exactly the same crack. I also have a couple of very small cracks (1cm long) on the top of the dash.

My 2003 Prado GX has exactly the same crack. I also have a couple of very small cracks (1cm long) on the top of the dash.

I believe that there are a few around. Toyota agreed to pay half to fix prob which was appreciated, being out of warranty, but it is more than disappointing that they haven't remunerated the full cost as it appears to be a concealed factory defect that surfaces after about 4-5 years. Any opinion?

I believe that there are a few around. Toyota agreed to pay half to fix prob which was appreciated, being out of warranty, but it is more than disappointing that they haven't remunerated the full cost as it appears to be a concealed factory defect that surfaces after about 4-5 years. Any opinion?

Hi,

How much did you have to pay? Did you have to do anything special to get Toyota to pay for half of the cost?

Regards

Colin

Hi,

How much did you have to pay? Did you have to do anything special to get Toyota to pay for half of the cost?

Regards

Colin

Hi,

If Toyota has agreed to pay for half then they have admitted to the fault therefore they should pay to rectify the issue in full, Why should you pay for half? the part is faulty!!!! having said that if the issue is apearing on multiple cars then perhaps a voluntary recall should be initiated.

Regards,

Maba

• 3 years later...

I bought my 2003 VX prado 1 year ago and the previous owner managed to convince toyota to replace the dash about six months after the warrany expired because of extensive cracks on the dash. When I bought the vehicle the dash was fine but two months ago I started to notice cracks around the center console and now cracks are growing from the end air vents going towards the center of the dash. This is very frustrating and toyota will do nothing about it. Even if I replace the dash I am sure it will probably crack again in about 4 years.

Edited by Vishnu Charran

Hi mate, the dash shouldnt be cracking this after it was replaced or at all,you would think toyota would have worked out whats causing the cracking by now and the replacment dash made out of a improved material, especialy $1500 to $2000 to replace the dash, I not sure if the dash would crack again or not, but this is your second dash and its cracking so yeah I dont think I would be rushing out to get it replaced, do you live in a hot climate or does the car get parked out in the sun all day, what I read on prado point about this issue, it seems heat the biggest problem, have a read on prado point about this issue there have been a number of forum members with the dash cracking.