Best multimedia Head Unit for AE92

Hi,

We want to replace the olde tape player that came with our 1991 Rolla Seca Ultima.

Looking at JB Hi FI and on Ebay the choice is pretty amazing. The prices on EBAY are often around (or below) $200, which would be good for the budget.

Also DVD and video screen support seems to be becoming more & more standard.

See attached a photo of the Head Unit and dash board area Of the AE92. Note it’s about half height of later models: about 5 x 18 cm.

Q1: Is there any particular name for this form factor?

We don’t need a screen right now & we want to keep costs down. So we’re not looking for a foldaway screen setup. However it would be good to have screen support to add on later by wire or possibly wireless, having the screen clipped to the dashboard or used by passengers.

We have no use for touch screens (or piling up due to them :angry:).

Q2: Power.

Is there any issues with electrical power support for a DVD / screen capable Head Unit with the AE92s?

Do they provide enough juice? This is the Ultima model with power everything, pretty power hungry as is.

Any need to change fuses etc with higher drain Head Units especially running a screen?

Q3: Model recommendations:

So we are looking for suggestions of multimedia Head Units with the following specs:

1) Control of volume and track skipping via a knob rather than a tiny button (again for non pile-up joy of usage).

2) Good radio support. It’ll be heavily used both for Sydney AM & FM radio so this shouldn’t just be an add-on in the design, which I’ve seen in some of the whiz bang multimedia monster units.

3) MP3, CD-R & commercial CD support.

4) As mentioned above, DVD support with option for screen to be added later.

5) Very important: USB support, possibly SD card support.

6) Car has 4 original Toyota speakers, so doesn’t need more than quadraphonic support.

7) Must have a button that acts as a master MUTE so the driver can easily kill the sound when needed.

8) Around the $200 price point.

post-11520-1237802710_thumb.jpg

Edited by NightFlight

I think you're gunna struggle to find anything remotely decent for $200...

Im running an in-dash 7" Pioneer DVD/TV unit... Retails at $1400...

Hi RollaBoy,

Sounds like a nice system. Got a pic?

This is the sort of system I'd consider.

AND the car's electrics handle that load fine? No need to change anything with the fuses?

As for price, people should look at Ebay offerings like at:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=350152673906

This Ausriver, New In Dash 60Wx4 Car FM DVD VCD CD MP3 SD USB Player went for $107.

If one searches Ebay for Car Parts, Accessories > Audio, Video > Players > DVD, VCD Players you turn up dozens of units like this all at around the $200 price point, supporting DVD but initially sold WITHOUT SCREEN. I'd get that later.

I gave up looking for JUST sound support as there were so many with video support.

Anyone had any experience with these units?

Never really looked at the cheaper systems myself, addicted to brand names with my cars and life in general...

My system goes fine, no need to upgrade anything except for the battery and wiring for the amplifiers...

Don't have a pic of the headunit in the car...

Never really looked at the cheaper systems myself, addicted to brand names with my cars and life in general...

My system goes fine, no need to upgrade anything except for the battery and wiring for the amplifiers...

Don't have a pic of the headunit in the car...

"No need to upgrade anything Except for the battery." Looking for some hard info here.

Did you need to upgrade the battery to power the new Headunit, or possibly the screen?

What sort of battery do you need/have now?

(Having several teenage kids etc I do look at bargains.

I've been amazed at the variety & new technology on offer at Ebay.)

Edited by NightFlight

No, the battery upgrade was to assist the power drawn by the amps... The new headunit doesn't effect anything at all...

I was using an Optima battery till it shat itself on me, still under warranty so it's been returned...

Havn't gone to pick up the new one yet, but have changed my mind and now looking into other brands and getting atleast two bigger batteries, if not more as the new system is gunna be sucking a whole lot more than a kings cross hooker...

Looking at around $400 each minimum for a decent dry cell or deep cycle battery...

• 1 month later...

I've gone with a DVD 1698U head unit.

It supports pretty much everything I specified up top, including good radio support (very intuitive controls for the 30 presets, no mucking about) + Divx, CD, DVD, USB, SD card, WMA, MP3, MPEG4.

Universal MUTE button for when you want QUIET to concentrate on driving!!!!

Sniped it on Ebay for $99AU plus 10% for 1 year warranty. Bought from River Trade based in Alexandria, Sydney . Ok people in my interactions so far.

Installed by Druery's Car Radio at Brookvale for $130 including reinstalling the broken antenna.

Thankyou again to Rolla Boy for that aerial!

Standard RCA output to screen for video. I'm now considering the options there. We want a max 10 cm high unit that is a good display screen ONLY. Probably TFT then, not LCD. About a 4.5" diagonal, 16:9 screen.

This is to be velcroed to the passenger side dash. Ideal would be a wireless connection to the RCA picture feed, which at present resides in RCA wires peeking out from the carpet near the front passenger's feet.

Anybody got any ideas for the screen?

post-11520-1237802186_thumb.jpg

Edited by NightFlight