LED interior light for 91 Seca

Hi,

What are people using to replace the incredibly inadequate incandescent interior light on ceiling & boot of these models?

All I need is the much better (wider, fuller) illumination an LED would provide from the 12v available.

What style of light is it? From memory, boot is a T10.

Hi, the interior ceiling light is 7x13 cm (pic attached, on the right), and the boot light is 5x10cm (pic on the left).

It would be good of course to keep the three position toggle options of OFF, DOOR and ON for both lights.

Otherwise I'm looking for units that can slot straight into those positions with max KISS principles applying but giving the much greater illumination of LED lights.

post-11520-1236086705_thumb.jpg

post-11520-1236086728_thumb.jpg

Edited by NightFlight

What style of light is it? From memory, boot is a T10.

Hi, the interior ceiling light is 7x13 cm (pic attached, on the right), and the boot light is 5x10cm (pic on the left).

It would be good of course to keep the three position toggle options of OFF, DOOR and ON for both lights.

Otherwise I'm looking for units that can slot straight into those positions with max KISS principles applying but giving the much greater illumination of LED lights.

6-SMD LED's will go in there nicely. Should be around the $15 mark each off eBay.

6-SMD LED's will go in there nicely. Should be around the $15 mark each off eBay.

Yep, getting near to pay dirt I sense.

I've been having computer troubles but I'll get back to this discussion in a few days.

Meanwhile I'm doing some research at the car accessory outlets.

Thanks to everyone who's been contributing.

Back after lots of computer overhauls, almost finished.

OK. Had a good look on Ebay and at the automotive stores.

The latter don't seem to want to know about LEDs for interior. Apparently REPCO may have them, but haven't had time to check there.

The auto stores support the standard battery killer incandescents. What century are they still in?

Anyway plenty of great deals on EBAY.

Prices from $5 for two for the types in Pic at left below to $15 for the bigger "wide set" type in the right hand pic below.

The RH type is definitely a 6-SMD. Just doesn't have the right mounting to fit in the recessed ceiling socket. Fit straight into the boot socket though.

Actually what does "SMD" stand for?

Do you reckon the smaller one on the left would be under powered for the interior ceiling? If so I'll keep looking for the 6-SMD with a fitting like left hand example.

post-11520-1236781351_thumb.jpg

post-11520-1236781362_thumb.jpg

Edited by NightFlight

Back after lots of computer overhauls, almost finished.

OK. Had a good look on Ebay and at the automotive stores.

The latter don't seem to want to know about LEDs for interior. Apparently REPCO may have them, but haven't had time to check there.

The auto stores support the standard battery killer incandescents. What century are they still in?

Anyway plenty of great deals on EBAY.

Prices from $5 for two for the types in Pic at left below to $15 for the bigger "wide set" type in the right hand pic below.

The RH type is definitely a 6-SMD. Just doesn't have the right mounting to fit in the recessed ceiling socket. Fit straight into the boot socket though.

Actually what does "SMD" stand for?

Do you reckon the smaller one on the left would be under powered for the interior ceiling? If so I'll keep looking for the 6-SMD with a fitting like left hand example.

SMD - surface mount device. Basically miniature versions of conventional electronics components. Avoid the one on the left, I've fitted quite a few of those and the owners have always been greatly disappointed... then come back to by the great batch of LED's I had delivered straight from an exporter :) I'd get something like this, or if it's the right size one of those with two of the 1W SMD LED's.

SMD - surface mount device. Basically miniature versions of conventional electronics components. Avoid the one on the left, I've fitted quite a few of those and the owners have always been greatly disappointed... then come back to by the great batch of LED's I had delivered straight from an exporter :) I'd get something like this, or if it's the right size one of those with two of the 1W SMD LED's.

That's what I'm looking for, actual experience with the options.

Edited by NightFlight

i recently bought a 48 led interior light for my corolla from ebay and it lights up the whole inside very well.

48 LED. Sounds powerful. Does that fit in the standard mount?

If it's the one I'm thinking of it's basically a "plug" bulb that fits into the mount, then a separate board that will go under the cover. Great stuff, a bit of overkill in my mind though. Don't bother going to local suppliers for these, it's eBay all the way. I've bought a lot from eBay and never had a single problem with them.

i recently bought a 48 led interior light for my corolla from ebay and it lights up the whole inside very well.

48 LED. Sounds powerful. Does that fit in the standard mount?

As the the_random_hero said its a bulb with a plug that fits into the mount using separate board with the leds. I just managed to fit it in.

Have you tried Jaycar?

Jaycar link 1

If your handy with wiring something like this may be even better

Jaycar link 2

Way, way overpriced ;) Most of the stuff I get from eBay ends up being half to 3/4 of what Jaycar and other places charge out here, shipping included. When I buy stuff I get in lots of 20 or so, I get normally get a 10-20% discount.