200 s bullbar recall

luckyone

anybody herd wat the problem is with genuine fitted bullbars there is a nation wide recall on toyoat fitted bars aparantly they are cracking and falling off .o oooo was dat a feeling was that a roo or a bar mmmmm .......me think we have a problem toyota

• 1 month later...

Hi All.

I have been buying LC's (DIESEL) since 1999 and generally average 2 new ones every 3 years( used for business) and i had great hopes for the 200 series when i first heard of the new model. like the rest of you I had all the promises about the improved fuel economy and power. I feel that the 200 series is a huge let down considering the promises made by toyota and many of the modifications and quality of build is extremely sub standard.

Just to go through a few of the issues and concerns with my 200.

lack of acceleration when you need it the most ( need to plant the foot to get out of a sticky situation)

noisy motor Toyota replaced my engine @10000km(new long motor but old equipment that was on the motor, starter motor, fuel system and everythimg else that hangs off it was put back on- no improvement) this noise appeared suddenly at 1500 km.

dust intrusion into the vehicle ( a lot of dust from the tailgate lower door)

lowering of the bullbar with the 'new' mounts for the bullbar(genuine)

Why did they remove the sub tank in the diesel! I get 600km at best out of a tank. make it useless for bush driving

These are some of the issues for which DPRs have been filled out.

The main point behind this posting is to inform you that Toyota will not react to calls to their 'customer care centre'. They will only react if they get enough reports from the dealers. This form that must be filled out by the dealer is known as a DPR (dealer product report) and in the case of the dust intrusion, the 'care' centre has had a lot of calls from customers but only 1 dealer, mine, who has filled in the DPR. The result of this is that Toyota does no see any 'faults' and does not react.

Please insist on your dealer filling in a DPR for any concerns you might have with your vehicle, it will be the only way Toyota will admit to themselves that they have any problems. As an engineer dealing with control systems, Toyota's excuse for sloppy acceleration being due to the 'fly by wire' setup is rubbish. it is plain and simply dodgy engineering of the control system and the associated algorithms.

PLEASE, PLEASE insist that your dealer fill out a DPR so that we, the customers, benefit sooner than later.

Edited by Kymbo

• 3 weeks later...

You are right with what you've heard Luckyone. Its something to do with the mounting points not being able to withstand the movement of a bouncing bullbar. If you were to drive only on perfect freeway there wouldn't be a problem. Who does that in the King off the Road?

The new brakets hold the bar on in about 3 more points from what I understand. Get em checked all you LC owners. Better than running over your own $2000 bullbar. :)

100% true about the bullbars and i can also add that i have repaired 3 chassis ends due to an aftermarket bar eg arb tjm etc etc being fitted and that the bar holds up fine but the chassis around the bolt holes or welded nuts crack and fail.

i have also repaired 2 120 prados for exactly the same problem but with geniune bar mounted.

cheers

stewy