Filling the 98 Tarago radiator

Xtra Trak

Hi,

I have a 1998 Tarago 2.4 petrol and it has been running a little warmer than it should on a warm day with the aircon on. It is in good condition with only 150,000Klms. The coolant reservoir is fine with its level but I am not satisfied that the coolant level is right in the radiator itself and not sure where to access it to check its actual level to inspect it directly and to op up if neccessary.

Also the car was only serviced 3 months ago so i would not have expected this ind of expereince so soon after a service. Could you please help with the location of the radiator filler location (NOT the reservior under the bonnet) and what else could be contributing to the car running warmer than is should with aircon on, on warm but normal Australian drving condtions?

Thanks

Hi im pretty sure ur tarago had a 'header tank or expansion tank' please dont confuse this for the overflow,the over flow would just have a normal 'clip on cap' then the header would have a 'Radiator type cap' that would sustain the pressure in the system.(you would know this by the pressure rating embossed on the cap)

I recommend topping with the real stuff 'toyota radiator fluid' other than the green off the shelf coolant(purely for the safety of ur car) , & if u dont have any just top it up with distilled water (wait for the bubbles in the system are gone then put ur cap back on) then on the next service flush it out & replenish with the real stuff

Hope this helps

Hi im pretty sure ur tarago had a 'header tank or expansion tank' please dont confuse this for the overflow,the over flow would just have a normal 'clip on cap' then the header would have a 'Radiator type cap' that would sustain the pressure in the system.(you would know this by the pressure rating embossed on the cap)

I recommend topping with the real stuff 'toyota radiator fluid' other than the green off the shelf coolant(purely for the safety of ur car) , & if u dont have any just top it up with distilled water (wait for the bubbles in the system are gone then put ur cap back on) then on the next service flush it out & replenish with the real stuff

Hope this helps

Hi bozurolla,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes have a header tank as you indicated and wondering how one still actully would fill a radiatir if it were emplty...presumably not through the header tank but through somewhere else? Do you know where that would be?

Cheers...Xtrax Trak