camry cold start idle problem

camcam

hello.

i have a camry 95 4cyl.

there is no problem with the start and idel in neutral gear, however, when driving to the first traffic light, the car is shaking badly(the gear is in D position), not frequently shaking but once every 2 or 3 seconds (it's like the car is going to stall, rev drop from 1 to 0.5 than back to 1), speed up than fine, another traffic light, shake again. it is fine when put gear in neutral or speed up. also it becomes fine after the temperature reach to normal.

can anyone help me with this problem? thanks!

• 1 month later...
Could be anything? .from cooling system detonation,idler postionng switches,fuel deprivation...may have to give us all lil more info

If your pretty confident with playing around with the engine give this ago.....it might help and if it doesn't, you haven't lost anything by it

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4624

check your distributor, leads and spark plugs and make sure theyre all in good condition. a faulty distributor can cause excessive vibrations/rev surging.

check your distributor, leads and spark plugs and make sure theyre all in good condition. a faulty distributor can cause excessive vibrations/rev surging.

I reckon you might have a spark lead loose... had the same problem with my VS SS one of the Leads where loose and caused the Engine to Iddle Routh (hence why in D it feels like its a Vibrator and in N it feels normal)

also have a look at the Temp Gauge and Radiator > u could have an access heat problem causing the car to Idle Roughly... Does it do it when you drive aswell? or drive slow?

Sounds like a plug or lead... but doesn't help once the engine's at temp? Does it do ANY of this at normal temp??

I had a problem similar to this on my 3VZFE, found I was running on 5 cylinders rather than 6 :P One of the plugs was faulty...

I've also got a problem with my 98 v6....

when u initially start it, it will go to about 12-1300rpm, then down to about 700 then straight back to about 12-1300....

is this a problem? or am i just being paranoid? :(

when u initially start it, it will go to about 12-1300rpm, then down to about 700 then straight back to about 12-1300....

is this all in the space of a second or two, or over the course of a few minutes? if it's happens in one or two seconds, you'll probably have to clean the MAF sensor, or replace it. if it's over the course of a few minutes, then i have NFI.

is this all in the space of a second or two, or over the course of a few minutes? if it's happens in one or two seconds, you'll probably have to clean the MAF sensor, or replace it. if it's over the course of a few minutes, then i have NFI.

happens instantly.....how do i clean the sensor?

undo the 2 screws on the MAF sensor mount and remove the sensor. get a cotton bud and some electrical component cleaner and VERY lightly wipe the tip of the MAF sensor. if it doesnt look dirty at all, it could well be the IAC (idle air control) valve. you could try spraying some throttle body cleaner in the iac valve ports in front of and behand the butterfly. throttle position sensor possibly?

just try to eliminate the easy things by doing some cleaning and see how it runs. if your not confident in cleaning electrical sensors or taking apart the intake to clean it, get an efi tuning place to take a look and see if they can locate a fault. or you can do this yourself by putting a jumper wire (or paper clip) between the TC and E1 terminals in your diagnostics connector to see what error codes flash up on the dash.

undo the 2 screws on the MAF sensor mount and remove the sensor. get a cotton bud and some electrical component cleaner and VERY lightly wipe the tip of the MAF sensor. if it doesnt look dirty at all, it could well be the IAC (idle air control) valve. you could try spraying some throttle body cleaner in the iac valve ports in front of and behand the butterfly. throttle position sensor possibly?

just try to eliminate the easy things by doing some cleaning and see how it runs. if your not confident in cleaning electrical sensors or taking apart the intake to clean it, get an efi tuning place to take a look and see if they can locate a fault. or you can do this yourself by putting a jumper wire (or paper clip) between the TC and E1 terminals in your diagnostics connector to see what error codes flash up on the dash.

thanx for the info, however, i think ur referring to the wrong sensor.....the one on gen 4's looks like this. its the older, stupider style

5af3_1.jpg