All wheel Drive or not

YBHVE4

Hi,

just wanting to know if the Prado in the mid to late 90's was full time 4wd or not.

cheers

As far as I am aware, they were. Best bet is to check for the transfer lever and/or center diff lock engagement switch. But I'll say that I'm not aware of any Prado's that were not fulltime 4wds

okay thanks.

was just looking at different options of vehicles but dont want fulltime 4wd if possible.

my 4runner has a electronic diff lock which is good for daily road use as its 2wd at those times.

okay thanks.

was just looking at different options of vehicles but dont want fulltime 4wd if possible.

my 4runner has a electronic diff lock which is good for daily road use as its 2wd at those times.

Any particular reason why you're not after a full timer? When the center diff lock is off in a fulltime 4wd its no different to an awd vehicle.

The early 90's prados came in a part time setup, as did the low end 80 series' (DX, I believe).

There are always conversions you can do too. You could easily put in a part time conversion for around $1k with a marks setup, though you'll probably pay a bit more in labour.

I can point you in the direction of a 4wd specific forum if you're interested, they'd be able to help you a bit more. PM me if you want the details.

okay thanks.

Any particular reason why you're not after a full timer? When the center diff lock is off in a fulltime 4wd its no different to an awd vehicle.

The early 90's prados came in a part time setup, as did the low end 80 series' (DX, I believe).

There are always conversions you can do too. You could easily put in a part time conversion for around $1k with a marks setup, though you'll probably pay a bit more in labour.

I can point you in the direction of a 4wd specific forum if you're interested, they'd be able to help you a bit more. PM me if you want the details.

So do these come with centre diff locks standard?

well I was trying to stay away from full time 4wd as a few ppl were saying its not the best for daily and offroad use....but i guess they could be wrong.

also, on a FT 4wd wouldnt maintenance be higher?

cheers mate

As mentioned, they are the same as awds - You'll have about the same maintenance costs of CV joints, front diff seals etc over the lifetime of the vehicle - I owned an 80 series landcruiser for several years and never really had any extra maintenance over your standard part time 4wd

As mentioned, they are the same as awds - You'll have about the same maintenance costs of CV joints, front diff seals etc over the lifetime of the vehicle - I owned an 80 series landcruiser for several years and never really had any extra maintenance over your standard part time 4wd

mmmm...okay. cheers for the info.

thats helped me make up my mind now. Just needed feedback from someone who actually owns a FT 4wd vehicle.

thanks again mate.

• 2 weeks later...

mmmm...okay. cheers for the info.

thats helped me make up my mind now. Just needed feedback from someone who actually owns a FT 4wd vehicle.

thanks again mate.

Had a 1996 GXL Prado since new until two eeks ago. Definitely constant 4wd with centre diff lock when you needed it off road.

Servicing cost were not that bad.