QUALITY OF FUEL

Hey guys,

Just wondering does anyone else notice every now and then the fuel they fill up with seems to have an effect on yr cars perfromance, eg i use normal unleaded mostly and vpower when its cheaper, but on the odd occassion it feels like not as good acceleraion and fell etc,

it might be just me but maybe there are some dodgy batches of the stuff out there? :o

Speaking of fuel, anyone who uses V-Power might be interested in the following offer:

Voucher

The above voucher allows you to fill up with V-Power for the price of normal 91 unleaded on Sunday 29 March 2009 (tomorrow).

yeah theres a difference between the two, not that highly noticeable anyways.

unless you go from unleaded to e10. my dad found out the hard way when he filled up with e10 seeing as it was cheap and i took the car to work and it felt like i was driving a slug :lol:

Edited by BlackKnight

well since i work at woolies i like using vortex from caltex and when i feel rich and are already at a bp i use bp ultimate, i've only used bp for a month or so but to me they are the same :) if your talking about a difference in different companies but the same grade say 98. Octone there won't be a much of a difference, the only difference i have heard of is that bp is the only company that has removed ethonal from the ultimate please correct me if im wrong.

if your talking about the difference in the different grades then yes i guess it would, being the higher quality and grade would run better for the motor, though some motors can't handle the higher grade fuel.

well since i work at woolies i like using vortex from caltex and when i feel rich and are already at a bp i use bp ultimate, i've only used bp for a month or so but to me they are the same :) if your talking about a difference in different companies but the same grade say 98. Octone there won't be a much of a difference, the only difference i have heard of is that bp is the only company that has removed ethonal from the ultimate please correct me if im wrong.

if your talking about the difference in the different grades then yes i guess it would, being the higher quality and grade would run better for the motor, though some motors can't handle the higher grade fuel.

i think bp ultimate is the only 98RON fuel that have guarenteed it to be 98RON that goes into your car at the bouser. if this is the case or not im not sure. i read it somewhere will have a look for the article

I think I read that there are different ways of producing petrol with a 98 octane level. I can't remember too much, but I think the article I read stated BP produced a cleaner & better 98 octane fuel compared to others. It was to do with the addition of some chemical to boost the octane level in some of the 98RON fuels (not BP, hence why the article said it was better).

EDIT - found it..

Basically there are two types of 98 Octane fuels on the market, high aromatic and low aromatic. In high aromatic fuels the octane is raised by adding benzene derivatives such as Toluene. Low aromatic fuels are produced by refining the fuel to a higher degree so these types of octane boosters are not required. These fuels contain more aliphatic compounds.

Optimax is a high aromatic fuel and BP ultimate is a low aromatic fuel. These fuels behave very differently during the combustion process. Aromatic compounds take longer to burn and tend not to completely burn during the combustion process. This is why you can see soot on the rear of you car when using high aromatic fuels.

Edited by KEN33F

Hey guys,

Just wondering does anyone else notice every now and then the fuel they fill up with seems to have an effect on yr cars perfromance, eg i use normal unleaded mostly and vpower when its cheaper, but on the odd occassion it feels like not as good acceleraion and fell etc,

it might be just me but maybe there are some dodgy batches of the stuff out there? :o

U put regular Unleaded in your Sportivo?

Remind me to never buy your car!

Hey guys,

U put regular Unleaded in your Sportivo?

Remind me to never buy your car!

It's an Accent Sport.

i think bp ultimate is the only 98RON fuel that have guarenteed it to be 98RON that goes into your car at the bouser. if this is the case or not im not sure. i read it somewhere will have a look for the article

If the fuel is advertised as 98RON it will be 98RON or higher. Fuel is one of the most regulated industries in Australia. In the ACT each petrol station has quarterly tests for fuel quality. At the petrol station I have interest in, 91RON typically comes out around 93, 95RON is about 96 and 98RON is 98-99. If you advertise 98RON and it's measured as being 97RON you should get ready to bend over. Same deal for under-dispensing petrol pumps (they are calibrated to over-dispense). Same sort of situation if Coca-Cola put 567mL of Coke in your 600mL bottle :lol:

With the info I posted earlier, I noticed it says "Optimax is a HIGH aromatic fuel". However, Optimax has now been replaced by V-Power. Does anyone know if V-Power is still a high aromatic fuel? Did shell change the formula of the fuel or did they simply just change the name..? :unsure: