99 camry

jellycam

hey, as im getting my first car (which i no sounding pretty lame) is my grandmas camry i was wondering what u guys think wuld b sum good cheap mods, Note that im a "P" plater so no turbos or other fancy stuff until later unforgentally!

Im looking at buying some tyres and rims from Bob Janes which will set me back $500 which is pretty much all i will have left after buying it! Any mods which i shuld b thinking off so i can save up for sumthing?

Thanks

jellycam

hey, as im getting my first car (which i no sounding pretty lame) is my grandmas camry i was wondering what u guys think wuld b sum good cheap mods, Note that im a "P" plater so no turbos or other fancy stuff until later unforgentally!

Im looking at buying some tyres and rims from Bob Janes which will set me back $500 which is pretty much all i will have left after buying it! Any mods which i shuld b thinking off so i can save up for sumthing?

Thanks

jellycam

EXTERIOR-wheels,lowered springs,tinted windows,muffler & tip,debadge(free)INTERIOR-audio/dvd system,seat covers,custom floormats,led globes,fluffy dice,baby seat bolt,ect ect ect.ps lowering & wheels will lose the GRANDMA feel. :)

Lol when i told my mates heard what car i was getting they bursted out laughing the camry is some what seen as "grandmas" car so lowering it and wheels will shut them up. Im on a very limited budget so wont b fully decking it out jst quite yet, an exhaust tip or the like would look nice thgh :D ill see what rims i can find (have to be dirt cheap)

Thanks for the suggestions bro

oh P.S

What about a cold air intake? how much do u reckon thtld set me back?

Edited by jellycam

Lol when i told my mates heard what car i was getting they bursted out laughing the camry is some what seen as "grandmas" car so lowering it and wheels will shut them up. Im on a very limited budget so wont b fully decking it out jst quite yet, an exhaust tip or the like would look nice thgh :D ill see what rims i can find (have to be dirt cheap)

Thanks for the suggestions bro

oh P.S

What about a cold air intake? how much do u reckon thtld set me back?

have a look at the wheels & tyres ELEGNT got for sale, if there still available see what he wants for em.cold air intake not sure on camry 4 or 6 cyl. but cheap if you make it, the dearest part should be the pod filter and theres heaps of them to choose from in all price ranges.

Its a 99 camry CSI 4 cylinder 5S-FE engine i believe 120k on the dial hasnt been flogged (lol the only good thing about it probably!) yeah i dunno if i culd jst put the pod on coz Super cheap auto has pretty cheap ones or will i need the full system? whatcha think? The tyres arnt to bad but ild prefer sumthing alittle different

Its a 99 camry CSI 4 cylinder 5S-FE engine i believe 120k on the dial hasnt been flogged (lol the only good thing about it probably!) yeah i dunno if i culd jst put the pod on coz Super cheap auto has pretty cheap ones or will i need the full system? whatcha think? The tyres arnt to bad but ild prefer sumthing alittle different

maybe dont worry about the CAI and do some cosmetic changes first.google alloy wheels, most wheel & tyre mobs have price orientated packages in different size rims.me and a few mates got ours from www.tempetyres.com.au in Sydney they have a good website to shop from.

Edited by 1stKill

the tyre and rim package will change the look of the car completely. next step i would go for tinted windows, maybe lowering if you can save up for it. for what its worth, i would perhaps go for a k&n or bmc panel filter (around $100) rather than a cai or sri, as they can work out expensive, but its completely up to you. i think a sleeper look suits camrys best, rather than ricing it up

then maybe a decent set of speakers, phillips crystal vision headlights, and a good polish and i reckon it would be a pretty nice cruiser

I'd suggest wheels first... then lower. You can lower and keep the same shocks, but you'll destroy the shocks quicker (if they're not already gone in the first place).

Tint is an awesome mod... it's not one that stands out, but makes the car overall look nice and keeps the car cool on the inside.

Don't worry about the CAI - Won't make stuff all difference. A K&N panel filter would be a nice change though... better airflow for the engine anyway. The only reason why you'd buy a Pod filter is for the "fully sic noise uleh" when it's sucking the air in. You'll have to mount the Pod properly and also needs to be concealed to be considered legal - this also depends on which state you live in.

I've done heaps of cosmetic mods... interior, tail lights, side indicators, custom front indicators... this and that. Works a treat for me. I've got things like a bonnet cover, genuine cup holders, aftermarket transmission torque rod... full sound system... just stuff. Oh yeh, exhaust?

You got the 4 banger right? Hurricane and Wildcat make headers for these engines... conbine with say, a 2 inch exhaust all the way through with a large twin tip on the end... would sound pretty nice.

yeah i want it to be more of a cruiser then a ricer jst like alittle more power under the hood when i need it :D im not sure if im allowed on my NSW red "P" plates to have an exhaust system? but its a nice idea and will certainly be doing if i get the money. Maybe jst seats and exterior for now thgh...

the tyre and rim package will change the look of the car completely. next step i would go for tinted windows, maybe lowering if you can save up for it. for what its worth, i would perhaps go for a k&n or bmc panel filter (around $100) rather than a cai or sri, as they can work out expensive, but its completely up to you. i think a sleeper look suits camrys best, rather than ricing it up

then maybe a decent set of speakers, phillips crystal vision headlights, and a good polish and i reckon it would be a pretty nice cruiser

its a white camry ill see if i can get sum pics up for u guys pretty soon, very "stock" looking but not for long!

From RTA website

Prohibited vehicles

The prohibited vehicle condition restricts provisional (P1 and P2) drivers from driving certain high performance vehicles. The condition applies to provisional licences issued on or after 11 July 2005. The scheme aims to prohibit young driver access to vehicles that are overrepresented in young driver crashes.

Prohibited vehicles are those with:

Eight or more cylinders (except diesel).

A turbocharged engine (except diesel).

A supercharged engine (except diesel).

Engine performance modifications that require an engineers' certificate.

Certain high performance six cylinder engine vehicles or other vehicles as described in the publication Novice Drivers - High Performance Vehicle Restrictions.

The following vehicles are not prohibited vehicles and may be driven by provisional licence holders:

Suzuki Cappuccino 2D Cabriolet Turbo 3 698cc (released between 1/01/1992 - 1/12/1997).

Daihatsu Copen L880 2D Convertible Turbo 4 659cc (released from 1/10/2003).

Smart vehicles (all models).

:mellow:

I like the "except Diesel" bit hahahahaha! They NEED some kind of boost to keep up with the rest of the cars :P

"Performance enhancing" - sounds like anything... CAI... exhaust... etc etc.

I like the "except Diesel" bit hahahahaha! They NEED some kind of boost to keep up with the rest of the cars :P

"Performance enhancing" - sounds like anything... CAI... exhaust... etc etc.

Yeah ah, it does say "Engine performance modifications that require an engineers' certificate" i dont need one for a CAI or full exhaust do i? ill probably go to the RTA before and ask them bout it jst wondering what u no?

yea its best to make sure before you put your money and wrench time into it.

on P's tho, you're better off playing it safe i reckon. leave the engine mods till later. work on things that'll make it more personally enjoyable like audio modifications or neons inside or seat covers or tweaking the way it looks. unless ur looking for money to burn, once u get into engine modifications you'll always want to do more. its pretty taxing. n also, i have a 5sfe engine. they're pretty low in the power sector and anything you do won't really change that much. the engines werent built to take much grunt. if you were really looking to do that, you're better off spending the money on a v6. ur automatically 50kw more powerful with the swap. and its 100% legal no problems.

I'd bet any money that exhaust and CAI are classed as "performance enhancing", but I don't believe you'd require an Engineer's Cert though. Normally you only need an Engineer's cert for things like turbos, superchargers, racing seats etc.