Speeding

yeah random, ive had had a pring already, $1850 in excess in my old falcon, it was a luv tap at only 5km/h outside the front of my school :( my bonnet was bent and side wheel arches pushed back to where it was hard to open the ford doors... i have had a few calls in the rolla but not my fault, it was while i was sensible..

Its not always speed. Its more about stupidity, lazyness and people thinking that having a license is their right. You should have to "earn" the right to be a driver on our roads. I dont feel that the testing system in australia is good enough. Plus you are never retested for fitness to drive. you just pay some rediculous amount for a peice of plastic that say XX number of years ago you were "tested" to be fit for driving on our roads.

Jarrod

Its not always speed. Its more about stupidity, lazyness and people thinking that having a license is their right. You should have to "earn" the right to be a driver on our roads. I dont feel that the testing system in australia is good enough. Plus you are never retested for fitness to drive. you just pay some rediculous amount for a peice of plastic that say XX number of years ago you were "tested" to be fit for driving on our roads.

+1. There are so many situations on the road where I've had all these near misses, and both me and the other driver/s were going on or below the speed limit. I think it not only comes down to education, but decent experience as well. There is only so much you can teach and test in a relatively controlled environment, but due to the amount of other bad drivers on the road, you don't really experience that until you're on the road itself with day to day driving.

General driver stupidity though I find is more responsible than anything. For example, just the other afternoon I was merging onto the highway. I was at the designated speed limit and just enough in front of a car in the left lane so I could move across. Just as I was about to merge, with only limited room left in the merging lane, some moron in the right lane moves into the left lane and blocks me off. Of course I need to hit my brakes hard so I don't end up in the barrier at the end, and then try and recover my speed to merge in further back in the line. It's people like that, which make you wonder how they are even fit enough to have their license.

i agree with that^^

But the thing is not every1 can afford to buy decent cars with better safetly ratings...this is the reason alot of ppl drive around with unrepaired damage on their cars really, very true but unrealistic. Maybe a system like in sweden would work well, with everyone having to pass an advanced drivers course and be able to perform handbrake turns and J turns, I did an advanced drivers course and it helped.

I am also a P plater but in QLD i got my P's before the new laws came in so I dont have to display them, one night i finished work and on my way home (highway amongst cain farms) I decided i wanted to see what the rolla could do, with only 1 personon the road behind me i planted it... got to 140 and the red and blue lights came on.. 3 months off the road... bugger..

My 2c

Tom

Enforcing it by law would be a good way to force rubbish cars off the road. There's still plenty of public transport.

yea true, but thats only in the cities, in places away from the cities like where i am there is hardly any public transport and badly built roads, and that is the place where most of these older, less safe cars are, in rural area's. The kind of area's where everyone has a landcruiser or vs commodore ute, and i get strange looks for having a modded corolla lol but i do agree with what your saying

Have you guys every been in a 25 kmph zone and the car behind didnt want to slow down? I have encountered such situations where I needed to slow down because of road construction, at 25 kmph zone (that's what my driving instructor told me to do!), there was a guy behind me who kept tailing me in a dangerouse distance. He showed an angry face like "why da hell do you have to be slow like that", changed to another lane and accelerated, i guess about 30-40 kpmh :huh:

I keep seeing those kinds of things, where people don't agree with the speed limit which I am obeying. Rude words, rude gesture are the thing they often express to me.

There are some people, on the 60 kmph road, I think 65 or 67 is the speed they are going. Because of that, the Government in my place has an ad saying "STOP CREEPING OVER THE SPEED LIMIT". That's true, isnt it?