Drive AWD Kluger in the snow without putting up the chains

Meta

Hi All,

Every years our family go to the snow (Mt Hotham) in our Prado or LandCruiser. We always carry the chains, but we never need to use them. So we have already forgot how to put on the chains :blink: :blink:

We are getting an AWD Kluger (trade in our faithful LandCruiser) next month. If anyone drive both Kluger and Prado in the snow before, would you please tell us that is the AWD Kluger OK or NOT driving in the snow without the chains in Mt Hotham?

Also, where we can buy the snow chains for the 19" Kluger wheels in Melbourne?

:toast:

Meta

By law, we must carry chains even for 4wd cars, although normally will not need them nor would we be stopped to put them on.

I never used to put chains on Magna 4wd (same constant 50% split) and did very well, even when "real" 4wd were having problems.

Its the way you drive that makes the difference, mostly. Softly and smoothly does it!!! and using engine to slow and brake is a must!!!

We also have an option of putting it into a snow drive mode (a button), and a descent mode (a button), which should help.

Kluger should do fine except the factory tyres may not be very grippy in a slush or deep snow.

I would also like to get chains for my car, just to be on the safe side. B)

Thanks! Up to the snow with style this time :toast:

Congrats on the new car.

Use the Snow Button you should never need the down hill assist in snow unless you are going off road down very steep hills.....It is very very slow and none of the hills are that steep that you will be going down....Give it ago and you will see what I mean....it wont heart :rolleyes:

Two brands of chains are:

http://www.autotecnica.com.au/snow_chains.html

and

http://www.konig.it/SchedaProd.aspx?ID=818

Either are available through different stores in OZ.

Problem: none are matching Kluger 19 wheel/tyre size, but the first one is very close.

Hill descent function is not reserved for off-road use (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_Descent_Control_system) but can be very helpful when going down on a slippery road, when sudden breaking can cause a nasty surprise - have seen few of these with heavy 4x4s or a truck :rolleyes:

Two years ago, I went to Mt Hotham with my Prado. As I was approaching the toll gate in the 2nd gear, it took ~ 2 meters (~ 15km/h) to stop the Prado. I almost hit another Prado in the front :ph34r: It was the scariest thing in my life :spiteful: Now a day, I use 1st gear if too icing on the road & I keep testing the stopping distance :yahoo:

Never use the low gear in my LandCruiser or Prado. Sorry to all 4x4 hardcore :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OK, these can be good fit but......there may be an issue with the space between the tyre and the strut (very narrow in Kluger).

I would ask or even test it before buying. :whistling:

Koenig make one for a narrow space (12mm) which should be fine.

Nope, not really. These are only good for fresh, wet snow and roads that have been salted and/or sanded (not done in OZ), i.e. when they can dig in through to the road.

Once you are on compacted snow, or ice - these are useless, and on normal road very noisy.

However, if you have them fitted with spikes, than it is a different story for use on ice. But we do not get these type of conditions here. Roads are cleared within a day.

So chains are emergency only, unlike in EU, US or Canada.

By the way, my Toyos have very deep thread so I anticipate they will do nicely in a fresh snow, the most likely emergency around Kosciuszko.

By the way, my Toyos have very deep thread so I anticipate they will do nicely in a fresh snow, the most likely emergency around Kosciuszko.

The black ice (or overnight snow compact by many passed by cars) gave me most the trouble. :ph34r:

• 4 months later...