Running in a new RAV4

mmm

Hi all,

We should pick up our new RAV4 SX^ in a couple of weeks. Is there a requirement to run the engine in? If so what is the best way?

These days, there is no requirement to 'run-in' an engine when you buy a new car. Most people suggest to take it easy for the first 1000km as a general guideline, but if you were to ask me, I'd say to give it a good workout. It all depends on what you believe in.

An interesting read as well:

How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

To quote Hiro Protagonist as well (who knows quite a bit about cars):

A lot of cars these days have effectively been run in before they even hand the keys over to you....so any "running-in" is irrelevant. However, it obviously does apply to freshly rebuilt engines.

Hi all,

We should pick up our new RAV4 SX^ in a couple of weeks. Is there a requirement to run the engine in? If so what is the best way?

mmm, I pushed my ZR6 from day one (acceleration and long cruising) - 40K later, running real smooth.

Thanks castr10 & DJKOR

Have just been told that our car SX6 arrives in country this week. Then upto 10 days to get through customs and equipped. Should have it by 08 Jun 09. Man I hate the waiting game.

Thanks castr10 & DJKOR

Have just been told that our car SX6 arrives in country this week. Then upto 10 days to get through customs and equipped. Should have it by 08 Jun 09. Man I hate the waiting game.

Gooday MMM,

Re the running in, you don't need to baby the car, but I wouldnt do any racing starts or screaming stops for the first 2,000 km. Towing anything heavy is not recommended during this time. Then - go for it. My CV6 has just done 10,000km and it goes better now it has loosened up a bit. I took it for a big drive of 1500km in the first month to get the motor bedded in, but then I'm a bit fussy. I intend keeping the car for at least 5 years, so I want to look after it. You will love the power/transmission match. Almost perfect.

Cheers, Bruce

c32kompressor,

Not 100% sure but like all genuine parts it was more than after market. I think it was about $850 or so. In saying this we did look at other after market ones such as the ECB and ARB but the wife prefered the original as she liked the black rubber on the top bar it has RAV4 stamped in it. I liked the added bash plate underneath myself that the others didn't have.

Yeah the original deluxe nudge bars with the rubber and the Rav4 stamp do look nice. And original Toyota accessories are a way to go as well...I might get some as well...I was aslo thinking about the side steps too...I like tham as well...Congrats on the car...I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it...Great Car!

• 1 month later...