D2 Coilovers

Brad!

Hi,

Well i did what all my searches of this board told me not to, and installed D2 Coilovers.

I must go out and say i love them! but at the same time there are some real annoying issues.

We installed them on Saturday with a few hitches, however all went in ok. Once they were in I had a big knocking noise when turning the wheel, the closer to full lock the louder it got. I fixed this issue by lubing up the pillow ball mount - Problem 1 fixed!!

My issue now is a real loud squeaking noise at all speeds. Now i have read through threads and threads on this board and others and I have been given the common sensis of all coilovers being "noisy". Can someone please define Noisy - is it the squeaks i am hearing or is it just the noise from bump bump bump down the main roads.

Yesterday i took the car to get an alignment done, a safety check to make sure everything was in and also for the guy to check up on the noises.

He explained the noises were due to the chrome strut going through the rubber... now i dont know enough to know where he means and therefor dont know if i can fix it.

My question is, what is the solution to the squeaks. i don't mind if its a fix i do my self, or a fix i pay for, but i would love to hear some solutions.

Please do not come in saying D2's are sh!t - I understand you get what you pay for, but there have been heaps of people on this forum that have had them and i am hoping they can help

Cheers.

hello! lols

i used to have d2's and yeah i can see that you post not to say there ***** but sorry i gotta say their *****! lols

as for the loud knocking noise most of the melbourne guys that got the d2 few years back installed them and probly only a year or so later they started making the loud as knocking noises like *boing boing boing* correct? thats the top pillowball mount and also the spring not turning properly yes lubing it up makes it go away for a few days but should come back after that i used to lube mine once or week or so and clean out under spring cuz heaps of rocks kept getting in there also.

as for the squeaking noises most coilovers do make sounds but i cant really tell unless i hear it maybe its the springs or somthing not sure about that one sorry mate

hope that helps?

Steve

Thanks mate.

Yer i agree their sh!t, just dont need to be told :P

The knocking noise has gone, that was the pillow ball that needed lubing.

The noise now is like a squeaking squishy noise - Its the shock/strut going up and down, but not sure how to fix it. Like i said, the mechanic said because its chrome going through the rubber its making the noise.

Just wondering if i take it to a suspension place they can do something to kill the noise.

When you say coilovers make a noise, what sort of 'normal' noise are we talking

Thanks mate.

Yer i agree their sh!t, just dont need to be told :P

The knocking noise has gone, that was the pillow ball that needed lubing.

The noise now is like a squeaking squishy noise - Its the shock/strut going up and down, but not sure how to fix it. Like i said, the mechanic said because its chrome going through the rubber its making the noise.

Just wondering if i take it to a suspension place they can do something to kill the noise.

When you say coilovers make a noise, what sort of 'normal' noise are we talking

knocking noise will go away but trust me it WILL come back anyhow,

hrmm squeaking noise... maybe its just the inside part of the coil like where the spring is inside theres like that rubber sleeve and its wrapped around the actual coil maybe its just that sliding up and down i took some zeal function coilovers off a dc2r a week ago and on one of the coils that rubber part the guy wrapped like a metal fishing wire around it really tight and it wasent moving but the others didint need it maybe it was just that one.

well when i got the cusco zero 2's they did make like a *pish pish* sound lols... like little bits of air coming out everytime i went over a bump umm not to sure cant expain but remember once you start replacing your stock shocks and springs theres always gonna be a new sound so try not to stress that much

d2's are good handling wise but i liked them for that and the ride height but the cuscos came up cheap so i got them

Another question - On the bottom of the front coilovers there is a knob that can be turned, is this a damper setting or what?

Sorry i have no instructions

on the BOTTOM?

on the top is the place that has the damper setting for the d2 coilovers for the corollas which should be a allen key that you stick into it and turn left or right to adjust the damper

you might be talking about the bottom body of the coil you can take the coil out and turn that up or down to adjust the height also instead of playing around with the spring you should lower it from there first before you play with the spring

Steve,

Ive circled in Red what i mean.. its plastic and turns :rolleyes:

When you say adjust the height at the bottom which section do you mean

91589396.png

damn my d2's never had a plastic part that can turn that i can think of

the part i mean is the whole bottom part so that whole purple part on the bottom got to loosen the ring that holds it in place first

So to adjust the coilovers at the front you have to unbolt everything to adjust the height?!?!?

I thought you adjusted the top part with the C spanners - Is that part just the spring tension?

Sorry for all the questions - I'm searching for instructions but your more helpful!

So to adjust the coilovers at the front you have to unbolt everything to adjust the height?!?!?

I thought you adjusted the top part with the C spanners - Is that part just the spring tension?

Sorry for all the questions - I'm searching for instructions but your more helpful!

lmao well some coilovers are adjustable both ways

usally people before they install the coilovers will adjust it from the bottom part because its better for the coil/spring or so im told but its true i think lols because if your adjust it from the top part with the springs you might not get it the same and also the springs may vary well we usally install coilovers and always adjust the bottom first before we touch the top

Steven,

when adjusting the height of your D2's,, try not to touch the top 2 spinning rings..( the ones under the springs),, this will change the way the spring sits.. if it's too tight, it'll be uncomfortable.. if it's too soft, the spring will move and make alot of sound..

hight should only be adjusted by the bottom one (the one you marked)..

my BC's don't make any sounds other then a slight rolling sound from the pillowball joint as they move,, the guys from BC told me that all pillowball joints will make some noise.. but this is only noticable at low speeds with the cd player off,, i don't even seem to get the hissing sound from the shocks..

i know of an awsome place that can fix it in sydney athough im from melb its called "the BIN" :lol:

LOL. You one funny c.............

:P

i know of an awsome place that can fix it in sydney athough im from melb its called "the BIN" :lol:

LOL. You one funny c.............

:P

lol,,,

there should be afew D2 dealers in sydney but i'm not to sure who, i think just jap deal with d2.. or try your luck with the suspension wholesales..<< theses guys are a BC dealer ;) , but they maybe able to help you..