Kluger Ping

GMC

I have an unusual problem. I have been trying to get engine ping fixed with my kluger.

The problem is due the other car pinging when using low octane fuel.

If 98 octane fuel is used the car does not notably ping.

I took the car to 2 Toyota dealers to be serviced and also look into the Ping problem.

Unfortunately I see that technicians are not able to resolve anything that is outside the normal car maintenance.

The responses I have gotten..

(1st dealer) There is no problem.. the computer says that there has been no pinging.

(2nd dealer) WOW. this car is pinging. the computer says there is no pinging though. We are not sure what is exactly wrong. If you like we can try to fix this. It will cost you money for us to work on the car and try to find out what is wrong.

Absolute bull**** I say.

Now I am no novice to mechanics and I know what will stop this. ( retard the timing )

The timing however cannot be mechanically retarded, it is controlled by the internal computer, (using all the sensors..etc. to optimise the motor's running).

So what I want is some way of getting my grubby mitts onto some wiring diagram.. software??

so I can look at fixing this myself.. ( have really really been discouraged by the quality of the service people at Toyota.

meanwhile I will just run the car on 98 octane while I can see about this problem.

What year and how many kms are on it? If you are still under warranty, they should be looking into this and repairing it under warranty.

What circumstances cause it to ping?

As for getting a wiring diagram or software for the 2GR-FE ECU, you're probably going to have a fun time obtaining that, because I don't think anyone out there has such a thing.

I have an unusual problem. I have been trying to get engine ping fixed with my kluger.

The problem is due the other car pinging when using low octane fuel.

If 98 octane fuel is used the car does not notably ping.

I took the car to 2 Toyota dealers to be serviced and also look into the Ping problem.

Unfortunately I see that technicians are not able to resolve anything that is outside the normal car maintenance.

The responses I have gotten..

(1st dealer) There is no problem.. the computer says that there has been no pinging.

(2nd dealer) WOW. this car is pinging. the computer says there is no pinging though. We are not sure what is exactly wrong. If you like we can try to fix this. It will cost you money for us to work on the car and try to find out what is wrong.

Absolute bull**** I say.

Now I am no novice to mechanics and I know what will stop this. ( retard the timing )

The timing however cannot be mechanically retarded, it is controlled by the internal computer, (using all the sensors..etc. to optimise the motor's running).

So what I want is some way of getting my grubby mitts onto some wiring diagram.. software??

so I can look at fixing this myself.. ( have really really been discouraged by the quality of the service people at Toyota.

meanwhile I will just run the car on 98 octane while I can see about this problem.

I actually had this same problem on my subaru liberty back in 2000 it turned out to be a faulty knock censer

a nightmare of a car thats why i drive toyotas now :)

Hi

To add more information..

The car had a seal leak .. a seal that is between the engine and the gearbox.

This procedure involved removing the engine. This was performed under warrenty.

The car is now out of warrenty. and unfortunately something I did not pick-up untill after.

(as I normally run the car on 98 cotane fuel).

And yes I agree about getting information on the wiring diagram will be almost impossible.

This makes me think about getting onto a company that uses the Computer piggy back performce

modifyer's. (make sme think that might be a real possability. as I expect the stuffing around by the toyota dealer will cost me about the same).

A shame there is no real engineers in service departments that can answer a simple problem like this.

As in reality it is simple.. just made difficult due to the lack of skilled people in the service departments in Toyota.

As Sahara 09 has said above, a faulty knock sensor could be one possible fault. If you have an oscilloscope, you can test for the output waveforms of the knock sensor to see if it is working as it should. More basically, you can perform an initial test of them for their standard resistance with a multimeter before connecting an oscilloscope to see if it is stuffed in the first place.

The 2GR-FE Engine Control Systems service manual has some diagnostic parameters you can look at such as those shown on ES-46 and ES-229

Ideally, the test way to test things like this is with the Intelligent Tester. Only issue like you have mentioned is that Toyota charge to perform this diagnostic. If they then find a fault and you choose to have them repair it, they will then deduct the diagnostic fee from the repair cost.

Thank you very much for the document.

Not the same car.. but the motor will be the same..

I should be able to do some diagnositcs..

(I have my own oscilliscope and multi meter...etc ) easy enough to test..

I will see how hard it is to get at these things...

Edited by GMC