Programming a second Gen 6 Camry Remote

Tash

Hey guys I'm hoping someone here will know or have tried this out before. Basically when I bought the car as a dealer demo they only gave me one clicker and when I questioned this they said they didn't have a second and wouldn't make me a second given it wasn't "brand new". Now I was pretty ****** off about this but one is better than none.

Anyways there is a seller on Ebay selling the remotes themselves for $1, so I'm wondering if I bought one could it be easily programmed from my existing remote? I did a quick search of TOCAU and I can see threads on older Camry's, but was interested in a 2008 thread with Aurion instructions - seeings these cars share so many things would remote programming be one of them? I would like to have a spare just in case, not that I doubt the remote itself (it belongs to a Camry after all) but more that I'll drop it and kill it! Lol..

Cheers in advance for any thoughts/experiences :)

Probably not the news you wanted, but if you want to get a new remote for your car, you will need to take it to Toyota to have them code it.

They do so by connecting their Intelligent Tester up to the car. They charge about $30-$45 in labour to do so. My recommendation is to get another key while you are at it, otherwise it would be another trip if you wanted to do that later.

You can read about how it all works in the following PDF from page 58 onwards:

http://www.camrystuff.com/manuals/Gen6/2GR...Immobiliser.pdf

Hmm interesting. I have the second key, its just the second key didn't come with a second remote. So basically if I did want one then I'd probably be best off just buying the remote unit itself and pay for the programming from them at the same time??

Edited by Tash

Best to buy a remote off eBay for cheap (I payed $26, you may end up with a cheaper final price), then go to Toyota to program it. No one has seemed to find a DIY option for that yet, and I doubt they will.

Don't even think of asking Toyota for a remote. Toyota will ask something like $270 for it.

Awesome, thanks Daryl, helpful as always :) I will keep my eye on Ebay for a second remote then I reckon!

The second key isn't slightly greyer than the other one is it? If so, it's probably the service key.

Ha - I just compared the two and you're right, the second one is grey! The end of the service key is cut better too. So I gather then that two sets of keys aren't given when the car is sold anymore? I can't say I've heard the term service key before but it would have the same effect as a normal key correct?

Edited by Tash

I can't say I've heard the term service key before but it would have the same effect as a normal key correct?

The grey key is a 'valet key'. It is cut just slightly different so that if you lock your boot with the main key, the valet key can not unlock it. As well, the valet key can not be used to initiate the key programming procedure when Toyota add additional keys to your car's ECU.

Awesome, thanks Daryl, helpful as always :) I will keep my eye on Ebay for a second remote then I reckon!

The second key isn't slightly greyer than the other one is it? If so, it's probably the service key.

Ha - I just compared the two and you're right, the second one is grey! The end of the service key is cut better too. So I gather then that two sets of keys aren't given when the car is sold anymore? I can't say I've heard the term service key before but it would have the same effect as a normal key correct?

Thanks for the right term Daryl, I should stop taking what my brother in law says as fact! :)

Daryl is right, I believe it won't unlock the glove compartment either... That aside, I'm not aware of the fact that the 6th gen camry did not come with a second set of keys and judging by the fact that my Aurion did, I can only assume that one of your sets is missing.

Probably best to just hunt around ebay for a replacement fob and get another key cut.

Hi I have found this on the 4WDAction forum. Not sure if it will help

-----------------------------

Remove the glovebox and find the module with the single black aerial wire.

Pull the plug out of the module (lots of wires) for 60 seconds then plug in again.

Sit in the drivers seat with doors closed (make sure all lights are off) and cycle ignition 21 times ( off-ign on-off)

Indicators will flash 20 times then press each remote new and old once then cycle ignition once more to save.

By unplugging module you clear it memory so make sure to press the button all remotes.

---------------------------------

Well I've learnt something new tonight!! In that event then I only have one set of 'real' keys with remote. So thank you both very much for your help as now I know exactly what needs doing if I decide I do want a back-up set.

Trex, they're interesting instructions although probably a little bit beyond my expertise! Although I am getting a little more adventurous lol

Trex, they're interesting instructions although probably a little bit beyond my expertise! Although I am getting a little more adventurous lol

Not to mention his instructions mention the remote lock receiver being behind the glove box. On the Gen 6 Camry and Aurion, it's actually located in the C-pillar. I doubt those instructions will work.

Not to mention his instructions mention the remote lock receiver being behind the glove box. On the Gen 6 Camry and Aurion, it's actually located in the C-pillar. I doubt those instructions will work.

Good point!! That immobiliser link you sent was interesting - I will have to have another read through including the rest of the manual on that site.