DIGITAL RADIO???

JJCRU23R

Now that Digital radio is now on air in australia as of last week... when should we expect to see 1 or 2 din car stereos that come with these as stock?

its bad enough having a gps suction cupped to your windscreen, at the moment the only option ive seen is yet another little box suction cupped to the windscreen to go next to your gps!

HURRY UP TECHNOGEEKS! MAKE ME A 2DIN DVD/MP3/USB/IPOD/DIGITAL RADIO/TV stereo for my car already!

btw is this the same as XM radio in the US? might just source a deck from the US if i have to.

Edited by mannyMANNYmanny

Now that Digital radio is now on air in australia as of last week... when should we expect to see 1 or 2 din car stereos that come with these as stock?

It should not take too long I don't think. I'd say to give it a month or two. As for tying it in with a GPS etc, I'm not too sure how long it will take that to progress.

btw is this the same as XM radio in the US? might just source a deck from the US if i have to.

XM and Sirius is a little different. It is digital radio, but it is transmitted over satellite. The Australian digital radio will be transmitted over land direct to your receiver whereas in the States, XM and Sirius is transmitted from land -> satellite -> receiver.

The difference here is that with digital radio, it is more localised and limited in range (ie. you won't be listening to a Brisbane station in Sydney), whereas with digital satellite radio, you could drive all the way across the country and still listen to the same station (and as a result, these stations are not as 'local').

not sure where I found this little fact out but I do recall reading that they will start to put digital radio (DAB+) into stock Headunits in 2012

guess the portable "Prue - Highway One" is the only option till then.

PS: I have a digital radio and it is great everywhere I go around Sydney and the lower Blue Mountains

It's hard enough buying a digitial radio/hi-fi these days, let alone one for your car.

We're talking very early infant stages here, in my opinion your current head unit will cark it well before digital radio is widespread and integrated into society.

It'll be like the people who bought DVD players when they first came out at over $1000, took several years before people finally started abandoning VHS and adopted DVD, at which point price plummeted and availability skyrocketed.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

personally i think theyve already had plenty of time to sort this crap out... at the very least ill be looking for a separate digital radio with RCA outputs so i can at least hook it up to the car stereo.