1998 Camry OBD II connector

CSi9822Man

Does anyone know if the 4CYL 1998 Toyota Camry is OBD II compliant

wots OBD i saw the fuse for it the other day when i was fixing my central locking, sat there for a good 10minutes thinking of possible abreviated words but got me stumped lol

I'm not sure whether yours would be OBDII compliant. All I know is that in the US, it was required that all cars built after January 1, 1996 be OBDII compliant. In Australia, it was only made mandatory in January 2005. The easiest way to tell is to look around your dash etc for a plug that looks like this:

800pxobd002.jpg

wots OBD i saw the fuse for it the other day when i was fixing my central locking, sat there for a good 10minutes thinking of possible abreviated words but got me stumped lol

OBD is On-Board Diagnostics. The OBD port on a car allows you to connect an external computer/programmer, and read certain engine parameters. With the right tools, you can even re-program other parameters.

You know how you can get a check engine light? Well when you get this, an error code is usually logged, and wit the use of an OBD scanner, you can read the error code and get an ideo of what is playing up.

I'm not sure whether yours would be OBDII compliant. All I know is that in the US, it was required that all cars built after January 1, 1996 be OBDII compliant. In Australia, it was only made mandatory in January 2005. The easiest way to tell is to look around your dash etc for a plug that looks like this:

LOL. it is not OBD-II compliant. Toyota Australia uses a propriety system. Scanguage II is made to work with OBD-II but does not work on my dec 05 built 4 cyl. (even though OBD-II is stamped on the plastic cover to the hookup). The service rep said Toyota made it propriety so that Toyota service centres can draw more in.

same scanguage worked on a 2000 echo, which was imported.

LOL. it is not OBD-II compliant. Toyota Australia uses a propriety system. Scanguage II is made to work with OBD-II but does not work on my dec 05 built 4 cyl. (even though OBD-II is stamped on the plastic cover to the hookup). The service rep said Toyota made it propriety so that Toyota service centres can draw more in.

Well I guess for the newer Toyota's they adopted the OBDII standard because the Aurion certainly is compatible with a ScanGauge and other OBDII interfaces. I guess 2006 was when they pulled their finger out.

Well I guess for the newer Toyota's they adopted the OBDII standard because the Aurion certainly is compatible with a ScanGauge and other OBDII interfaces. I guess 2006 was when they pulled their finger out.

i found it really disappointing in any case! All that the Toyota customer service said was "we can't explain why it doesn't work". at least the service manager at the dealership played straight.

Guess i will connect the laptop to the data pins if i there is any and see what i can try to work out

It's not as easy as connecting a laptop directly to it. You need an OBDII interface firstly... and that's even if it will work. Something like this for example:

OBD to USB

OBD-II_USB_ELM.jpg

I know the Gen 3s got OBD-I, but the Gen 4s and onwards got OBD-II... just the Australian proprietary one though. It's slightly harder for me to read OBD-I codes, but hell, I'd rather OBD-I anyday of the week :P Can at least adjust heaps of stuff without the car whinging about it :yahoo:

I know the Gen 3s got OBD-I, but the Gen 4s and onwards got OBD-II... just the Australian proprietary one though. It's slightly harder for me to read OBD-I codes, but hell, I'd rather OBD-I anyday of the week :P Can at least adjust heaps of stuff without the car whinging about it :yahoo:

Thanks Whip.

:o Wow. The 1994 V6 Camry had OBD2, lol. every 1MZ-FE in the US and Canada has been OBD2.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

On my 1999 Vienta V6 (i think both 4s and 6es have the same OBD? setup. The so called OBD port is in the engine bay but it aint OBD anything, the pin out layout is entirely different to OBD2 and on the lid its named DIAGNOSTIC. the pin out is on the underneath of the lid a series of initial's that's double dutch to me, 7 of the pins are fitted in mine.I contacted Toyota Australia and asked if they could help me with what the pin outs related to and also if they could also give me the pin out for the ECU but was told no one there could help me with either.Strange!they make them but don,t seem to know what they are. Told me a dealer would help me and guess what a dealer has offered to send me the info: If I receive the info I'll pass it on along with my praise for the sender.

EDIT:- received nothing!! By the way its the diagnostic port not the OBD port that's in the engine bay. On my 1999 model Vienta the OBD port is under the dash drivers side towards the side panel, you'll have to get down real low to identify it as it points downwards. Mine is marked OBD without a 1 or 11 after it.

Edited by peregrine

The gen4's are OBD2 but they has to be read from the mechanics. Unless you own the special $8000-15000 scanner that mechanics use. NONE of the cheapy scanners will read it (I have one :( ). However all you need to do is short out 2 pins (TC and E1) in the engine bay and your check engine light will flash you the code.

The gen4's are OBD2 but they has to be read from the mechanics. Unless you own the special $8000-15000 scanner that mechanics use. NONE of the cheapy scanners will read it (I have one :( ). However all you need to do is short out 2 pins (TC and E1) in the engine bay and your check engine light will flash you the code.

If you can plug in an OBD scanner then yours must be different to mine unless the OBD scanner can couple into an entirely different socket as well, with a totally different concept, with a variety of pin arrangements mostly with 3pins and not 2 across. In fact pin TC is located in the middle row on mine. However thanks for your response your info: is appreciated. My understanding is that the OBD2 port has 2 rows of 8 sockets totaling 16.

The actual ODB2 port isnt under the hood. It'll be under the dash on the driver's side. Next to where the fuses are. If you stick your head underneath you will see the obd2 plug there.

Connection to (TC and EI) is correct for I believe checking spark advance but that is not the OBD port its the Diagnostic port. Correct location of the OBD port marked OBD- not OBD2 is under the drivers side dash close to the side panel. You have to get down real low to locate it as it faces downwards. Its a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

Edited by peregrine

• 1 year later...

I'm revisiting this Topic, as the last post is over 12 months old, and further diagnostic technology is now available for laptops and smart-phones and members would be more knowledgeable.

So the question I'm asking in my case, did the 1999 Camry V6 come with the OBD 2 plug and if so, was it Enabled?

All Toyotas in the USA and Canada by law had to have the OBD 2 for vehicles 1996 on. As mentioned in earlier posts within this Topic, it was not required in Australia until 2005-6 that OBD 2 was law.

Thanks in Advance

• 2 weeks later...

You just need the expensive machines to use the OBD2 plug. These machines are the professional ones that the mechanics use and are worth $5-10k.