I lost my key and remote :(. What should I do?

KHIEM

Hi everyone,

It was a lovely sunny Wednesday afternoon....

I went to Uni for a whole day with my car key in my backpack. When i got off the bus and back to my car, I just couldn't find my key anymore :(.... I don't know when and where i dropped it.. man, so depressed now :(.

I called Toyota straight away and they said: to rebuild the whole system that includes the ignition thing, the remotes and keys, it gnna cost $1500-$2000 roughly :(. I asked him if there's any other cheaper solution, he said he didn't know any except taking the risk...

I have my back-up key. On the key that i lost, there's a blockbuster card as well (i put them together so i don't lose them), do you think there's any chance that ppl can track my home address and find my lovely baby in my garage :(? that would be a disaster for me :(.

My friends advised me to call Blockbuster and cancel the account, but i think if someone picked it, and give it to blockbuster they still can find my address and post it to me or call me to pick it up :(. So what do u think? should i cancel the account or just leave it like that :(?

My uncle told me to instal the alarm, which's about 400-500 to reduce the risk :(. Do you think it worths?

Thanks for everyone's comment :(. I am sad :(.

Cheers

Yeah, it is a tough decision you have there. I would cancel your Blockbuster account ASAP to be on the safe side. They shouldn't disclose your personal information to anyone but yourself (which you usually verify by pin number or photo ID) so you should be relatively safe there.

An other option you can try is to install an aftermarket immobiliser. Wether it be a keyed switch or a hidden fuel pump cut, either should prevent your car from being stolen. Of course it won't stop anyone from taking stuff out of your car.

The choice is up to you really if you want to toss up the odds. Do you really think they can find your car?

Yeah, it is a tough decision you have there. I would cancel your Blockbuster account ASAP to be on the safe side. They shouldn't disclose your personal information to anyone but yourself (which you usually verify by pin number or photo ID) so you should be relatively safe there.

An other option you can try is to install an aftermarket immobiliser. Wether it be a keyed switch or a hidden fuel pump cut, either should prevent your car from being stolen. Of course it won't stop anyone from taking stuff out of your car.

The choice is up to you really if you want to toss up the odds. Do you really think they can find your car?

Thanks DJKOR.

I parked my car there in a big carpark (shop carpark) and jumped on the bus. so the entire trip can be summarized as BUS-UNI (stay there for about 9 to 10 hours)-BUS-carpark. So i m not sure where i dropped it :(. There's a small chance that someone saw me dropping the key, picked it up, kept silence and followed me all the way down to my car.. but still :(.

Can you say a bit more about the immobiliser? How about installing an aftermarket alarm, like the one that sounds *beep* *beep* when you lock/open the car? Is that safe and convenient?

Can you say a bit more about the immobiliser? How about installing an aftermarket alarm, like the one that sounds *beep* *beep* when you lock/open the car? Is that safe and convenient?

Any decent immobiliser really is all you would need. An aftermarket car alarm may even come with one built in so you won't need to worry. Just remember though, the alarm may be useful when you are at home, but when you leave you car out in a car park, anything can happen. They can use your keys to unlock the door, alarm goes off, they pop the bonnet and then kill the alarm. You car is then theirs to do what they want.

Trust me, in a car park not many people care when a car alarm goes off. On my old Camry, my alarm was playing up. I popped the bonnet and disabled the siren. People were watching, but didn't care.

Any decent immobiliser really is all you would need. An aftermarket car alarm may even come with one built in so you won't need to worry. Just remember though, the alarm may be useful when you are at home, but when you leave you car out in a car park, anything can happen. They can use your keys to unlock the door, alarm goes off, they pop the bonnet and then kill the alarm. You car is then theirs to do what they want.

Trust me, in a car park not many people care when a car alarm goes off. On my old Camry, my alarm was playing up. I popped the bonnet and disabled the siren. People were watching, but didn't care.

Ok, so look like an Alarm together with an immobiliser is good for me. Do you know what brand in particular? or where should I look for them. I m now in Adelaide.

What do you think aout the probability that someone knows my car and has my key gonna steal my rolla? is it a relative high chance :(.

Can't really help out with brands and what not. I haven't really had to deal with them before. I hear good things about Viper/Hornet/Mongoose car alarms however.

Probability wise, it all really depends on where you are and how often your car is left out in the open. A risk is a risk really when it come to that.

if you're in qld, contact DLC locksmiths at the coast, they can cut you a new key and re-code your ECU for a new master etc.

The old key will then not be able to start the car. Costs a ton less than replacing the ECU and all lock barels. No real need for an alarm once you've had this done.

if you're in qld, contact DLC locksmiths at the coast, they can cut you a new key and re-code your ECU for a new master etc.

The old key will then not be able to start the car. Costs a ton less than replacing the ECU and all lock barels. No real need for an alarm once you've had this done.

That sounds good too. But i m in adeliade now :(. I m still searching for Car key experts :(.... do u think they have that work down here?

thats funny - today i too lost my car keys + house keyas at work. i think a student at my school has taken it and now im afraid to drive my car to work thinking the kid with my keys will try to unlock it...

Edited by mannyMANNYmanny

thats funny - today i too lost my car keys + house keyas at work. i think a student at my school has taken it and now im afraid to drive my car to work thinking the kid with my keys will try to unlock it...

its good that u know where u lost the keys.... i just don't know when and where did that happen :(. I think i won't sleep well tonite :(

Hey man, i had the same thing but worse, i lost all my keys, get a new alarm plus emobolizer that's what i did, i went for the mongoose. As for the key you can get one cut for roughly $130 ish, i would recommend you to use the after market key and keep your master key at home.

What state you in? I know a locksmith that cuts car keys.

cheers

I guess this shows who actually reads the posts. The OP mentioned twice that he is in Adelaide.

Hey man, i had the same thing but worse, i lost all my keys, get a new alarm plus emobolizer that's what i did, i went for the mongoose. As for the key you can get one cut for roughly $130 ish, i would recommend you to use the after market key and keep your master key at home.

cheers

Yea i m in SA, Aelaide mate. Ive had a look on Moongose website and yea, they r really sophisticated. But again, they don't have any store down here i think :(.

How much did you buy yours? I m looking at the M80G one. it aslo gives an option of buying the FM pager, i think that one is for texting us when there's problem with the car (cos there's a SIM inserting to that FM pager in the photo). It doesnt have the price on the website but i think with all these fancy features, it gonna cost me about $400ish :(

do you use any alarm system on your car DJKOR?

It doesnt have the price on the website but i think with all these fancy features, it gonna cost me about $400ish :(

I think the $400 mark will get you the alarm without the GSM paging module. I would expect to pay the same amount for the paging module itself.

do you use any alarm system on your car DJKOR?

Just the factory alarm (just monitors door entry) and chipped key immobiliser. Nothing else.

its good that u know where u lost the keys.... i just don't know when and where did that happen :(. I think i won't sleep well tonite :(

my keys were recovered the next morning. relieved much!