steering wheel shakes crazy when braking from 60km/h-UP

Hi everyone :)

I am really un-happy about this but thought id ask for opinions as to why my steering wheel shakes like hell when applying the brakes with the new tyres

SORRY FOR THE LONG STORY thought it would be best to be clear and give as much detail as possible

this is exactly what i did over the last 2 weeks

WEEK1

got the following done to the car :

*wheel alignment

*balance

*rotation done

But was informed that my front tyres are illegal and very worn which needed to be replaced. As i had work and was running out of time i told the tyre place to rotate the tyres and ill come around later to change it

AFTER DRIVING FOR A WHILE I NOTICED THE CAR DIDN'T HANDLE WELL WITH BALD TYRES ON THE REAR....

WEEK 2

*got a seized brake caliber fixed along with all new brake pads as the cars done 284,000km without a brake replacement. So once done all was sweet and the brakes worked like a charm and very smooth.

So even though i had plenty of time this week i got the two bald tyres replaced and since them when i go to 60km the steering wheel shakes like crazy. I took it back and they were trying to claim my brakes are busted. I told them that the car has brand spankn new brakes and its only been an issue with the new tyres. They then stated that its the rotars on the wheels are warped and are very hot and because of the new tyres its now noticeable. So i was told by them to fix it then if still an issue to come back and they will do another allignment which didnt need to be done when i got the new tyres put on as it was previously done by them the 1st week.

Any thoughts on this...new brakes...new wheels...what could possibly be cause such a pain in the neck?

Edited by Armstrong

i experienced this when i bought a set of mags a few years ago , whacked them on and thought , this feels horrible , i refitted the stock wheels and had the mags checked and they werent balenced at all.

Were the wheels rebalanced with the new tyres? Has it thrown any wheel weights?

Are they aftermarket rims? If so is there is a locating ring and was it reused?

no the wheels were not rebalanced with the new tyres as i thought it wouldnt make a difference putting on brand new tyres of the same exact yokohama A drive 14' tyres on.

But i had someone drive it and they recon its the brakes and also i found out that the rotars" if i called then that correctly" were not machined. so they might be warped. Im going to see the mechanic tomorrow. If that doesnt work then i will get the wheels checked again from the tyre place and pay the fee to rebalance and align the wheels

because it only happends when i apply the brakes

If they overtightened one or more studs on your wheels too much, then yes the rotors could be warped. The symptoms you describe do strongly suggest rotors. It is not necessary to machine rotors every time the tyres are replaced, and not machining them certainly would not make your problems suddenly appear. In all honesty, 90% of the people who work on cars simply don't give a ***** about their work or don't know what they're doing.

It is also possible that the handbrake shoe is somehow jammed. Next time you're cruising along, pull on the handbrake a few clicks and see if that makes any difference.

If you do not notice any vibrations when accelerating/cruising, it is unlikely that your rims are bent.

no the wheels were not rebalanced with the new tyres as i thought it wouldnt make a difference putting on brand new tyres of the same exact yokohama A drive 14' tyres on.

But i had someone drive it and they recon its the brakes and also i found out that the rotars" if i called then that correctly" were not machined. so they might be warped. Im going to see the mechanic tomorrow. If that doesnt work then i will get the wheels checked again from the tyre place and pay the fee to rebalance and align the wheels

The wheels really should be rebalanced when the tyres are replaced; tyres aren't balanced from the factory.

What your saying is contradicting yourself. You say that it shakes while going over 60km/h, yet you then say it only happens when you apply the brakes.

The wheels really should be rebalanced when the tyres are replaced; tyres aren't balanced from the factory.

What your saying is contradicting yourself. You say that it shakes while going over 60km/h, yet you then say it only happens when you apply the brakes.

yeah..i should have phrased that better. So what i mean is this when i apply the brakes from any speed from 60km/h -up i then have the problem with the steering wheel shaking. I also went to work today with the car and its very serious as it feels like the wheels have problems being flat on the road. I will clarify with you thought that i have no problems what so ever at any speed even on the freeway when driving. Only when i apply the brakes i have the problem. But ive booked it in to get resolved this week. So best thing to do is wait and see what happens.

Will definalty keep you all up 2 date with the the problem was :clap:

thanks for the ideas guys

Edited by Armstrong

OK, so we're dealing with a brake problem. Does the brake peddle pulsate/pump by itself when the brakes are applied? If so the rotors will be stuffed, they can usually be machined but the problem will come back unless you catch it early and isn't too bad.