AE95 4WD wagon with sick engine.

Ok i have a 1996 tercel/carib wagon SR5 AE95 with a sick engine (broken piston or pin)

Its got 317000 kms on the clock and is still in pretty good nick, transmission is good, body in great shape.

I plan to use it as a daily driver, camping trips mild 4WD driving nothing extreme.

I have a 1000 to get a new motor but could stretch it a little further to get something with a little more grunt.

Has anyone done work on these?, What motors would fit?,Any ideas

lol that was my first car... it was good... only problem i had is that the engine would cut out randomly in summer when i have the A/C on... myns also done 320 000km :P but man its slow :P with the EFI 4AFE... i reckon 4AGE too :D like this dude he turbo'd his 4age in his AE95R... looks pretty nice

post-10138-1250501481_thumb.jpg

post-10138-1250501513_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ray89

That's Larz's old wagon from the coast. It's actually a 4agze which he removed the charger from and turbo'd it.

To fit a 4age or 4agze you need to clearance the block and transfer case with a grinder.

That's Larz's old wagon from the coast. It's actually a 4agze which he removed the charger from and turbo'd it.

To fit a 4age or 4agze you need to clearance the block and transfer case with a grinder.

Thanks for input all

Cool thats what i needed to hear can be done with a grinder...

I live in melbourne anyone know a decent suppier of second hand import engines?

i was reading a magazine today at work in my break lol saw half cuts like a 20v 4age 5 speed for $1500 lol but mag might of been old so the detials may be incorrect

• 8 months later...

I have got this AE95 apart now going to replace the engine with another 4AFE. If i can help anyone with pictures of the transfer case of the 4WD setup just message me.

Does anyone know about the EFI-S engines are these the same as standard or does the engine code 4AHFE make sense. Forums are saying these were tuned differently for the jap Carib wagon but i have not seen much difference between the AUS 4AFE and the JAP 4AHFE.

Rod

• 7 months later...

Hi - I also have 1989 AE95R in good nick.

One of the front shocky's is gone, needs replacing, and I was thinking of upgrading the suspension and perhaps giving her a few extra mm of clearance.

Has anyone got any experience doing this?

Will post in suspension area too...

Many thanks,

Sean

haha $1500 for a 20v with box is cheap these days... its getting hard to find any 4ages these days.

4age would be good if you plan on driving between 4000-7200rpm all the time.

imo a 7afe convo would be better overall daily driving for the said budget.

The AE93R corolla RV 7AFE motor would be the best bet, motor should fit in (might need to grind abit off the block to fit the transfercase), engine loom should connect up (havent tried but they are from the same era/series, so should?

anyways if your really after a 4age motor, i have a complete running 1986 AE82 Corolla Twincam series 2 (4AGE TVIS, 86kw on 91ron, etc... engine vgc, but 2nd gear syncro is farked)

http://office.autospeed.com/cms/title_The-4AGE-Guide/A_2733/article.html

$800 located in tullamarine

• 6 months later...

I have got this AE95 apart now going to replace the engine with another 4AFE. If i can help anyone with pictures of the transfer case of the 4WD setup just message me.

Does anyone know about the EFI-S engines are these the same as standard or does the engine code 4AHFE make sense. Forums are saying these were tuned differently for the jap Carib wagon but i have not seen much difference between the AUS 4AFE and the JAP 4AHFE.

Rod

Hi Rod,

I've had an AE95 for a few years, I've done a bit on it (axle bearings, front boots, head job) but now I've got to do the clutch. My workshop manual (Reg Ellery edition) doesn't answer the simplest question - which is - Should I pull out the donk upward, the transaxle downwards or pull out the pair of them together? Which is easiest? I'm an experienced home mechanic but these days I'm just working in a carport. I can hire a hoist if necessary or improvise a block and tackle if necessary. I'm really counting dollars - any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bazza

Rod

Hi Rod,

I've had an AE95 for a few years, I've done a bit on it (axle bearings, front boots, head job) but now I've got to do the clutch. My workshop manual (Reg Ellery edition) doesn't answer the simplest question - which is - Should I pull out the donk upward, the transaxle downwards or pull out the pair of them together? Which is easiest? I'm an experienced home mechanic but these days I'm just working in a carport. I can hire a hoist if necessary or improvise a block and tackle if necessary. I'm really counting dollars - any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bazza

Hey mate, I have always pulled the motor through the top on toyotas (AE92, AE82, ST184, ST185, RA65, UCF11) the 4WD ones are a little harder (more maneuvering required) but you can do it.

You need to pull the engine and transaxel out together.

I just used a cheap engine crane (you can get them from supercheap for a couple hundred dollars)