Buying a KLUGER - Advice required.

BigBad64

The Kluger does come with Toyota Roadside Assistance, so the RACV one isn't required...but I'll probably keep ours going anyway.

I've been looking around at insurance for the Kluger and, for us, RACV are by far the cheapest....especially with the Silver membership discount (which I think is 10%).

Toyota offer insurance however when I asked them to give me an estimate it was about $500 more expensive than RACV....which the Toyota guy couldn't believe.

He suggested I go to RACV for the insurance, as there was no way they could match the price (or even come close).

The Kluger does come with Toyota Roadside Assistance, so the RACV one isn't required...but I'll probably keep ours going anyway.

I've been looking around at insurance for the Kluger and, for us, RACV are by far the cheapest....especially with the Silver membership discount (which I think is 10%).

Toyota offer insurance however when I asked them to give me an estimate it was about $500 more expensive than RACV....which the Toyota guy couldn't believe.

He suggested I go to RACV for the insurance, as there was no way they could match the price (or even come close).

I think I'll keep the RACV going also. We're up to silver membership and if you cancel it you're back to square 1 if you decide to join up again later.

At the moment I have 4 quotes for insurance, AAMI are cheaper than RACV, even given the silver membership in my circumstances.

I note all the companies bar one want you to pay through the nose to pay monthly and not in one hit. But this is the topic for another thread so thanks for the advice.

• 1 month later...

I think I'll keep the RACV going also. We're up to silver membership and if you cancel it you're back to square 1 if you decide to join up again later.

At the moment I have 4 quotes for insurance, AAMI are cheaper than RACV, even given the silver membership in my circumstances.

I note all the companies bar one want you to pay through the nose to pay monthly and not in one hit. But this is the topic for another thread so thanks for the advice.

hello

I'm a newbie

I purchased a 04 cvx which had 98762kms on it and it still drives better than my NEW work car

No side step for me, even my girls are 5 and 3 year old. They love climbing up the car.

Pricey for the Toyota version, much cheaper aftermarket. I opted nothing and still won't pay for it.

The only good thing I have is the tow bar, although I am not towing anything atm.

The tyres shopping is on your list very very soon. So forget about extras/options. Coz the stock ones are at best 40000km in life span, no matter what you do with alignment (even you have aligned every 10000km). Mine is at 43000km and if you measure anywhere it is bearly over 3mm of thread (just legal). I rotate tyres every 10000km.

Have u been flying around corners? my kluger has done 40k and the tyres are still alright.. i reckon they're still good for another 20k

Mine is KXR with the higher profile 245/65 R17 btw, so dont know if that makes a difference

• 2 months later...
We love the camera, no need for the sensors unless your blind:).

It works well for those tight spots, too bad there aint one on the front as well lol

When I collected my Kluger from the dealer he reversed it next to our trade-in (Commodore) so we could easily swap our 2 baby seats into the Kluger.

Whilst reversing he hit a fire hydrant with the passenger corner bumper, scratching the paint and cracking the tail-light.

My point here is that the camera is good but it's blind at the corners. The dealer would be in and out of cars daily moving them around the lot. He's no doubt had a bit of a brain fade in this instance but it does also highlight that the best efforts reversing can be improved with more support ie. rear sensors.

Therefore we got em installed and as you can imagine had some pretty good bargaining power when price was discussed :spiteful:

In reality, the reversing camera is only a driving aid and shouldn't be the only perception you use to reverse. It isn't perfect but it makes life much easier than if it weren't there (particularly reversing into carparks at shopping centres to judge how far back you can go before hitting the car (or wall) behind you.

We also invested in the parking sensors (front & rear), thinking it would add to the safety when reversing/parking but in all honesty they are quite sensitive and go off even when you're not that close to a nearby object, which at the beginning makes you stop and survey around - only to realise it is picking up something diagonally from the car and nowhere within striking distance.

You then find yourself becoming accustomed to it going off and pretty soon start to ignore it - which is completely the opposite to what you should be doing (and I know one day it is going to come back to bite me).

IMO, I think the sensors should be improved and the camera is pretty good.