Xany's 1990 JZA70 Twin Turbo R

Xany

Hey guys, (long story ahead!)

Just thought i would introduce myself. I bought a 1990 JZA70R a couple of months ago, keeping with the tradition of Toyotas in my life. The MA71 has always been a bit of a soft spot for me, i've always loved the look of them and endevoured to own one eventually. My first Car was a 1979 KE55, i bought it as a "doer-upper" for $300 bucks, being only 17 at the time i was very eager to get the car on the road and looking good.

Some pics, second was taken by Rohan/elegant on the forums. Thanks buddy.:D

IMG_3956.jpg

25fku9w.jpg

So anyway, fast forward to a couple months ago when i was looking at a 1989 MA71 Auto 3.0L Turbo....i had seen the car parked on the side of the road for sale...and had then rang the owner to get some details on it. However my brother is a mechanic and talked me out of buying something with a 7M engine. I then went looking for something of the same shape with a different engine. I stumbled across the JZA70R i bought.

Now, the problems. When i purchased the car, it needed a few things done to it to bring it up to roadworthy standard. Mainly little things like brakes and a tailshaft centre bearing. I fixed them and got the rego changed over into my name. However the next weekend the car decided it wasnt going to play nicely....and bailed me up on sunday arvo needing a tow home. It sat in the garage all week while i sourced an ECU for it as i have an auto lecky mate that came around to have a look at the car and came to the conclusion that the injector pulse was the issue it wasnt running right. The symptoms were that it would start and run for about 3secs, then die...but would run fine from cold start...it was only when warm that the problem occured.

I sourced another stock ECU for it and plugged it in on the wednesday night, thinking all would be good and i could maybe actually drive the thing again. I was on the phone to my auto lecky mate while i started and ran it for about 10mins to make sure the problem was gone. I had only just hung up, happy with the fact it was running and idling again. However much to my dismay, about 2mins after i got off the phone, the car started to run on 4 cylinders and then start chafing out smoke from the exhaust. I rang my auto lecky mate and told him i had broken it again. Turns out after he had a look at it a second time that it is almost the same problem as before, however instead of the injectors closing and not providing fuel, the injectors were now fully open and pouring the fuel in (this was after him looking at it for 30mins and testing a few things). I had a replacement ecu shipped from Melbourne that is currently working fine in the car now....

oh and heres a link i found for anyone having the same problem.

http://www.2jzswap.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1715

If you got this far....i applaud you. :D

Pics vvv

post-13985-1255453504_thumb.jpg

post-13985-1255453522_thumb.jpg

post-13985-1255453532_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

Xany

Edited by Xany

The ECU capacitors are known to leak in the JZA70 and JZX81 ECU's, they're the first thing I replace when I get my hands on the ECU. Some you can't actually tell they're leaking until the capacitor is desoldered.

hey mate. Love both your cars. The KE sounds wicked as. It was the first car I had to check out when I got to the loop last week LOL