Roadworthy question

layzie

Really?

I have a situation here.

Bought a 96 corolla, picked it up on Thursday. At that time there was no leaks whatsoever.

Today drove out my driveway and there is green liquid on d ground. Im assuming its a radiator leak?

What actions should i take?

Really?

I have a situation here.

Bought a 96 corolla, picked it up on Thursday. At that time there was no leaks whatsoever.

Today drove out my driveway and there is green liquid on d ground. Im assuming its a radiator leak?

What actions should i take?

Coolant leak, not necessarily a radiator leak. Check all your coolant hoses and clamps, as well as the drain taps on the bottom of the radiator and the engine block, and the thermostat housing on the end of the head.

Can you recall whereabouts under the car the puddle was forming?

The leak was just right under where the oil dip stick is.

It was actually a heavy leak this morning, iv been monitoring it all day, and havent seen a single leak after that?! very strange.

When the guy sold me the car, there was no coolant in the bottle, so i filled it up to FULL. So im assuming the excess came out?

BTW, its a 96 corolla csx AE102R

Edited by layzie

The leak was just right under where the oil dip stick is.

It was actually a heavy leak this morning, iv been monitoring it all day, and havent seen a single leak after that?! very strange.

When the guy sold me the car, there was no coolant in the bottle, so i filled it up to FULL. So im assuming the excess came out?

BTW, its a 96 corolla csx AE102R

Oil dipstick is nowhere near the coolant overflow bottle on a 7AFE, unless you're getting confused with the auto transmission dipstick (if your car is auto).

Coolant leak near the oil dipstick to me would indicate water pump failure, or at least failure of the seals/hoses/clamps in that general vicinity.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Yes i believe its a water pump or hose problem. If there is a leak from the water pump or hose, how often is it meant to happen?

I have only seen it leak yesterday, after that no leaks at all.

Yes i believe its a water pump or hose problem. If there is a leak from the water pump or hose, how often is it meant to happen?

Apart from condensation from the air-con vent pipe, you should NEVER see ANY fluid of any kind leak from your car. In a well-treated and serviced car the water-pump should last several changings of the timing belt (I'm coming up to 320,000km and the water pump is still original), but in a mistreated one it can go much earlier. Unfortunately, due to it's position it is a bit of a pain to change (and expensive too) unless you get it done same time as a timing-belt change, which is why I suggest checking every single coolant hose you can find in the area, as they're cheap and easy to replace.

Apart from condensation from the air-con vent pipe, you should NEVER see ANY fluid of any kind leak from your car. In a well-treated and serviced car the water-pump should last several changings of the timing belt (I'm coming up to 320,000km and the water pump is still original), but in a mistreated one it can go much earlier. Unfortunately, due to it's position it is a bit of a pain to change (and expensive too) unless you get it done same time as a timing-belt change, which is why I suggest checking every single coolant hose you can find in the area, as they're cheap and easy to replace.

Yeah thanks for that. Il have a look at every hose just incase its just a hose thats causin the leak.

In regards to the air-con condesation, do ALL cars leak water after air-con has been used? I havent actually noticed it on my sportivo, but noticed it on my ae120r csx yesterday, i got a bit worried.

In regards to the air-con condesation, do ALL cars leak water after air-con has been used? I havent actually noticed it on my sportivo, but noticed it on my ae120r csx yesterday, i got a bit worried.

It depends on how humid the air is. The more humidity and the colder the air conditioner... the more condensation you get.

Yeah thanks for that. Il have a look at every hose just incase its just a hose thats causin the leak.

Technically they don't "leak" water, it is condensation from the air which builds up on the evaporator coils inside the dash - because of this, there is a drain/vent tube to the outside of the car to drain off this condensed water. Run the air-con on a hot day, you should see a puddle of water underneath your car between the crossmember and the firewall on the passenger's side of the car, look above and you'll see the vent tube.

And yes, it is perfectly normal, nothing to worry about. If it _didn't_ leak, then I'd be concerned about water building up inside the air-vents and causing rust/electrical problems/leaks.

I got my ae102r csx for a roadworthy today because I wanted to know if there anything not roadworthy, and guess what?!

Its not roadworthy!

1. Washer needs to be adjusted

2. Front Engine Mount is SPLIT!!!!!!

SO what should i do now?

Do i call vicroads and tell them the mechanic issued a dodgy roadworthy?

OR should i go straight to the initial mechanic who issued the dodgy roadworthy?

Has anyone had any issues with roadworthy before?