Echo Injectors

Kichy

Hello everyone,

I own a 2004, 1.3L VVTI Echo which carries me for nearly 160Km per day (mostly highway), crossing most of Sydney on each 80Km trip.

The issue I am finding is that the car does not have enough power for constant highway driving, and I am not in a position to change my car at the moment. I thought a couple of "simple" mods could give the Echo a little more push, such as a cat-back exhaust (2 ½"), a pod filter and larger capacity injectors.

The first two mods mentioned aren't much trouble to get them done, but the injectors would most definitely have to be in synch with the computer. I would rather not having to change the computer since it can be a little bit costly; so I am asking if anyone has changed their injectors in a 1.3L Echo engine and what the replacement choice was... or if you have not done it yourself you might know or can recommend a suitable replacement.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Kichy. :lol:

If you have never driven a Twin Turbo Supra I suggest you do, the experience is breath-taking.
Edited by Kichy

Hello everyone,

I own a 2004, 1.3L VVTI Echo which carries me for nearly 160Km per day (mostly highway), crossing most of Sydney on each 80Km trip.

The issue I am finding is that the car does not have enough power for constant highway driving, and I am not in a position to change my car at the moment. I thought a couple of "simple" mods could give the Echo a little more push, such as a cat-back exhaust (2 ½"), a pod filter and larger capacity injectors.

The first two mods mentioned aren't much trouble to get them done, but the injectors would most definitely have to be in synch with the computer. I would rather not having to change the computer since it can be a little bit costly; so I am asking if anyone has changed their injectors in a 1.3L Echo engine and what the replacement choice was... or if you have not done it yourself you might know or can recommend a suitable replacement.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Kichy. :lol:

If you have never driven a Twin Turbo Supra I suggest you do, the experience is breath-taking.

im sure you could use injectors from a 1NZ-FE or even from a 1ZZ-FE... but i doubt upgrading your injectors will increase the power output, it will probably just make your care run too rich.

a complete exhaust (headers, exhaust, etc) and a good cold air intake would probably make some difference.

as well as a lightened crank pully

No point upgrading injectors unless they are reaching their maximum duty cycle. This would only happen if they are clogged up and have an extremely poor flow rate or most commonly because of the applicationof forced induction. I highly doubt your '04 Echo has poorly flowing injectors and if you were boosted you wouldn't be complaining of poor power.

If you were to upgrade them then you would be overfueling the engine as it would be using the same duty cycle but the injectors would be injecting more fuel in that same amount of time. The ECU can adjust the duty cycle to a point, but not enough to properly compensate for much larger injectors.

In my experience, a resonator-back 2.25" exhaust, K&N Panel filter and a lightened underdrive crank pulley made a huge difference. To expand on that further you could go CAI/Pod filter and a full axle-back exhaust with performance headers. Anything more than that and the cost starts to outweigh the benefits.

Things like lightweight wheels, removing the spare tyre, not having a massive sound system... they all help too :)

As stated above, larger injectors will make things worse.

I would not touch the headers as they are designed for max torque which is what you want for highway cruising.

A good clean of the maf maybe worthwhile if it hasn't been done in a while.

Also check for worn wheel bearings, dragging brakes and correct oils being used in the engine and gearbox.

How many kms has the car done?

• 3 months later...
As stated above, larger injectors will make things worse.

I would not touch the headers as they are designed for max torque which is what you want for highway cruising.

A good clean of the maf maybe worthwhile if it hasn't been done in a while.

Also check for worn wheel bearings, dragging brakes and correct oils being used in the engine and gearbox.

How many kms has the car done?

The car has done 70,300 Km. I am thinking of changing cars in the next 2 to 4 weeks.

The Echo is reliable and strong, I do not want to mess that up especially when I am so close to getting another car.