jap import gt4

flashrx2

hi to all,

i am a newbie to this site and have just purchased a 90 model or early st185 gt4 jap spec celica.

my drama arises from finding out some things after the purchase and after some research about these cars.

the car has been regoed and been driven around previously as an st184 with all the real id tags removed and the st184 tags fitted.

the vin number has also been dodgied up on the firewall.

the real vin is still there behind the false one and can be salvaged and put back right.

the problem is there is no other tags for the real vin and i havwe no info or paperwork for the cars importation.

is it possible to make it right or do i just wreck the car out.

i am spewing i didnt research these cars more before purchase but wasnt expecting what i found.

did a revs check and a vcheck with both coming up clear for the numbers on the car now so thought it would be alright.

didnt pay alot for the car but really like the shape and look of these things and wanna drive it.

anybody know how hard it is to comply cars or if it is even possible without much info?

please no comments about being a cockhead for buying as i am already aware of this.

otherwise does anybody want some gt4 parts?

thanks in advance

the reason it was probably dodgyed is because after a certain date (which i cant remember) you could not road register imported gt4's

hence the 184 compliance plates and VIN... the very dodgy and illegal way to register the car.

i would just part it out if i were you, or buy a f*cked AUDM or proper JDM gt4 and swap parts into it.

gday

yeah, for the last 5 years or so no one has been able to import a ST185 GT4 in Australia from Japan for road use, but you could import them as a track car - this needed special paperwork to be filled out and the import had to be specially approved before the import could happen, which, as mick said accounts for the dodgyness...because if your car came over and ur driving it around as a 184, ull also reg and insure it as a 184 meaning massive savings on $$$...smart if you can pull it off!

but with parting out, i now own my second 185 - my first i took the engine out of and completely stripped cleaned and rebuilt it from scratch, it was a AUDM GT4...i wanted the slim body so i went and bought a JDM GT4 (my car now) and parted out my AUDM GT4...completely stripped it, doors, panels, under body, all i left on it was the ABS system and AC piping...and yes you can sell the parts off for a nice price! better than nothing, and be the safest option legally as well.

any questions mate just ask...mickwheelz n myself work on celicas all the time together so we know these things inside out, upside down, back to front - everything!

K_SAN

thanks for the info and tips guys.

i am expecting to part the car out so if you need any parts or know anyone who does let me know.

car has front mount and silicone piping, tein fully adjustable suspension front and rear, body is straight, no front bar, has sunroof, wood steering wheel, turbo timer, slotted front rotors, twin spot calipers, is almost complete car.

engine runs fine looks like has a few oil leaks.

thanks again

thanks for the info and tips guys.

i am expecting to part the car out so if you need any parts or know anyone who does let me know.

car has front mount and silicone piping, tein fully adjustable suspension front and rear, body is straight, no front bar, has sunroof, wood steering wheel, turbo timer, slotted front rotors, twin spot calipers, is almost complete car.

engine runs fine looks like has a few oil leaks.

thanks again

Potentially interested in the fmic and/or exhaust. Could you throw up or pm me some pics of the back of the car, underneath of the car, front and engine bay? Any info on both would be great to.

Thanks

Emanuel

• 2 months later...