Wierd sound

Ok for the past week or so I've been hearing a wierd sound at 4300rpm or there about. Its a faint but annoying "weeeiiii". At first I thought someone was blowing their horn far away, thats the best discription I can think of. It is pretty consistent now and especially at nights when its quet and I'm climbing a hill you hear that "weeiii". Because of the rpm it comes in, I think maybe its the vvt part that may be affected. I'm planning to get it dealer serviced on Thursday. I hope the problem doesn't hide then. :( I'm really worried cause I've had no problems with the car so far and was hoping to start modifying it soon. :( has anyone else had this issue?

im gonna sound like a dumbass but anyways here i go...

one day i had this huge friggin loud whistling and it always kicked in when i floored it and just bout wen i hit 90... it scared the sh*t out of me.

anyway i had a few more goes at it and it was always wen i was flooring it and at about 90km/h.

turns out the window was open just a touch.

but goddam, that was the loudest whistling, screeching noise i have eva heard. thought i broke something.

cheers,

im going to say definitely not ur problem... but my 2c

I've only had mine a couple weeks, 2,000km on the clock. Last week I noticed some uncharacteristic hesitation around 2000rpm especially in 2nd gear and something like the sound you mentioned higher up the rev range.

It was more noticeable when cold, I took the noise to be a whistle from the air intake or somewhere else in the induction system.

I thought back for anything that could have caused some ECU confusion and remembered some near-stalls the day before. I started the car and gave it 10minutes just idling, then a couple 'enthusiastic' drives, changing over 3500-4000rpm. Always erring on the side of nearly riding the clutch, not bogging down.

All seems good now, just feeding the ECU some new info seemed to have fixed it for me. Your problem sounds similar, but 'your mileage may vary' (as they say). Hope it helps.

xcess, the same thing happened to me the other day! i went around a corner too fast and all of a sudden this loud whistling came about and i crapped myself. i thought it was the tyres or suspension, but then realised my window wasnt up all the way hahaha

also, i get that "weeiiii" sound too. its at just the right frequency to annoy ur ears, but i always assumed it was because of my amp for my stereo. comes and goes i guess...

I had a high pitched-ish whistling/screamins sound that I know comes from the engine.

I had it in my 2000 Corolla Levin

I heard it in my Mother-In-Law's 1999 Echo

I heard it in many of the Corolla's that we have at work in our Government fleet

I have it in my 04 Sportivo...

I think it's a Toyota thing.

I think the reason Greg hasn't heard it is because his car goes doof doof real loud and he can't hear it. :D

Its definately not whistleing. Its really starting to worry me. I haven't felt any difference in the way the car feels when I hear the sound. To make sure I'm not just hearing wind, I just stopped at a traffic light, put the car in nuetral, and gently pressed the gas until it hit 4300 rpm and sure enough the sound kicked in. Its very hard to describe but all I can say is that it sounds like someone is blowing a horn a mile away. Even my wife says that's the closest thing she can compare it to. Tomorrow I try lifting the bonnet and pulling the throttle cable, maybe the sound will be more pronounced and I can track it.

Edited by JDM RunX

guys....

the whistling is from the white piece of plastic in your air box....

the 05 stivo esp has a single strip of plastic rather than the meshy thing on 1zz...

anyway... just take it off... its suppose to stabilise your idling... but it didn't affect mine...

its in the top bit of the air box...

and... a CAI would fix everything... :D and give you a loud roar... :)

might be wrong about the bit of plastic,, it may have something to do with the seels in the door or something to do with the air conditioning as i have had the whistle and so has kyle and we both have CAI'S

might be wrong about the bit of plastic,, it may have something to do with the seels in the door or something to do with the air conditioning as i have had the whistle and so has kyle and we both have CAI'S

It's definitley an engine noise... not too worried though...

Lo,

I have this high pitched noise when I get to the same kind of RPM...about 4200 or so.

Thing is, I notice it only when the aircon is on, so I recon it could be something to do with that, though I didn't notice if you mentioned anything about your aircon being on or not...

Could it be cause by a bit of extra stain on the engine...?

Lata.

people,

talk to 'shadow' he's got a 05 stivo, and we fixed the whistling sound by removing that plastic thing in the air box.

try and and see if it helps. ;)

cheers. (his was only obvious at about 3800~5200rpm, and when the car's revs are dropping)

dude you sure you never installed one of those "Rice Effect" Electronic BOVs that can be bought on the net for $59.95 + postage. ROFL!!! :lol:

OR

Did toyota decide to add this as an upgrade for the 05 rollas to improve the sportyness? :P

Edited by modikaz