Toyota Sat Nav In ZRE152

xplodin

Hi All,

I've got a question and i've tried searching everywhere before i posted a new topic.

My GF has a Levin ZR and wants to get the genuine sat nav fitted to the car. (The one with the larger screen and Bluetooth)

I was hoping to do it myself as i've had quite a bit of experience with stereo installs in the past.

I was wondering if its plug and play with the OEM Harness and just add the GPS Aerial or is it a hack and dice of the Harness?

Also Does anyone have the part number for the Sat Nav as well as any associated parts to get this working fully.

Ok before you all tell me to get aftermarket H/U with Satnav in them... The GF wants a genuine one, cos when she sells the car she wants it to look like its from factory.

Thanks in Advance.

John

Edited by xplodin

Hi John,

I installed a factory gps in my partner's 2004 corolla. It should be a similar job in your ZRE152. My unit was the older type with the seperate gps computer (installed under the passenger seat) but the more modern units are all-in-one.

I found guides for both vehicles at http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com. The only wires that required some tapping and custom harness were the speed sensor/reverse sensor but the pdf I have attached shows the location in your car.

I can also point you in the right direction to Australian Toyota maps.

Regards

Sam

TNS600_RHD_PZ445_00331_00_AIM_000_948_1.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
Hi John,

I installed a factory gps in my partner's 2004 corolla. It should be a similar job in your ZRE152. My unit was the older type with the seperate gps computer (installed under the passenger seat) but the more modern units are all-in-one.

I found guides for both vehicles at http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com. The only wires that required some tapping and custom harness were the speed sensor/reverse sensor but the pdf I have attached shows the location in your car.

I can also point you in the right direction to Australian Toyota maps.

Regards

Sam

Thanks for that Sam! Much Appreciated! I'm still trying to get hold of a unit. Does it matter if you dont connect up to the VSS?

If you don't have a connection the the VSS your navigation won't be as accurate and it may be a little jerky. There is an upside though - there will be no motion lock-out (not being able to input addresses while in motion). Also, I think there may not be any navigation voice if the VSS is not connect (not 100% sure) but I actually prefer not to have an annoying voice repeating dumb commands.

I initially had the gps antenna sitting under the passenger seat. While it was not getting any reception the navigation still worked because it had information about my speed (from the VSS) and direction (computer contained a gyro). I only realised that it wasn't actually using the gps when I looked at the service menu showing the reception status. I moved the antenna to sit in the small space above the stereo but still under the dash. Now it works a treat - very responsive.

I hope this helps.

Sam

If you don't have a connection the the VSS your navigation won't be as accurate and it may be a little jerky. There is an upside though - there will be no motion lock-out (not being able to input addresses while in motion). Also, I think there may not be any navigation voice if the VSS is not connect (not 100% sure) but I actually prefer not to have an annoying voice repeating dumb commands.

I initially had the gps antenna sitting under the passenger seat. While it was not getting any reception the navigation still worked because it had information about my speed (from the VSS) and direction (computer contained a gyro). I only realised that it wasn't actually using the gps when I looked at the service menu showing the reception status. I moved the antenna to sit in the small space above the stereo but still under the dash. Now it works a treat - very responsive.

I hope this helps.

Sam

That's actually incorrect as the navi will lock out these functions even without the speed signal wire plugged in. I've had the pre-BT model and the only way to override it was the soft unlocking sequence that's been disabled for the BT navi unit. Also without plugging in the speed signal, the turn by turn voice instructions will not activate at all and nor will it re-route if you've taken the wrong turn. The only voice command you hear is "You have arrived at your destination... ". So there's good reason to plug in the speed signal.