DIY foglight install with OEM headlight dimmer stalk

chicken

Hi all,

This guide won't be relevant to corolla owners with foglights (sportivo/levin owners and prewired corollas).

I've found an easy way to install OEM foglights to my corolla which was NOT prewired for foglights.

I basically added the missing foglight wiring in the engine compartment and connect it to the foglight wiring present in the cabin.

This works with the sportivo/levin headlight dimmer stalk with foglight switch.

THIS IS A GUIDE ONLY I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ISSUES THAT MAY ARISE FROM THIS.

materials:

*headlight dimmer with foglight switch

*OEM foglights

*15A auto fuse blade type (this might already be in the car)

*narva micro relay 68062BL

micro-normal-open.png

*custom made foglight harness with appropriate plugs (H11 female plugs for facelift zze corolla) below is a diagram of one. parts can be bought on ebay to make one

post-8229-1261360929_thumb.jpg

Method:

First remove the negative battery terminal.

install the foglights and foglight harness by removing the front bumper. Below is how I routed the wiring:

post-8229-1261361177_thumb.jpg

ground the negative to the chassis and route the positive through the firewall into the cabin.

in the cabin remove the glovebox to access the fuse box. install/check that a 15A fuse is in the "FR FOG" slot:

post-8229-1261361577_thumb.jpg

in the driver side remove the mini storage box to access the relay block. plug in the micro relay in the middle slot:

post-8229-1261361943_thumb.jpg

route the +ve wire from the firewall, the driver side and behind the foglight relay block. from behind the relay block there are 4 wires plugged to the relay, tap the +ve wire to the RED wire:

post-8229-1261362333_thumb.jpg

Finally install the headlight dimmer stalk. No need to remove the steering wheel, just remove the steering column cover (3 screws).

post-8229-1261363333_thumb.jpg

reinstall the negative battery terminal and you're DONE!

Area for improvement:

I tried to find where the red wire (from the relay) terminates in the engine compartment but had no luck. That would ease installation and save on wiring.

I hope this was useful

Edited by chicken

Good work Chicken!

Unlucky that your rolla was not pre-wired. But awesome that you got it all working.

thanks kenneth. it's similar to the foglight install for your yaris except in the corolla i don't know where the foglight power is in the engine fuse box.

• 4 months later...

Hey Chicken,

i have been thinking about getting my foggies wired up, and i think your diy has helped me understand it a bit better...

but i already know that i have the H11 female plugs in behind the foglights... so where would the prewired ones be different to yours? would they already be grounded, and possibly connected to the battery?

I can see i shall require a Narva Relay, because that will help getting them working.

Let me know,

Evo

Hey Chicken,

i have been thinking about getting my foggies wired up, and i think your diy has helped me understand it a bit better...

but i already know that i have the H11 female plugs in behind the foglights... so where would the prewired ones be different to yours? would they already be grounded, and possibly connected to the battery?

I can see i shall require a Narva Relay, because that will help getting them working.

Let me know,

Evo

Hey Evo,

Your corolla is prewired for foggies so its already wired to the battery, ground etc. you just need the narva relay and the oem headlight dimmer stalk and its done :)

Hey Evan, refer to this post, and also post #8 in that thread. If the HB4 plugs are already there, you're prewired and good to go! Just need a stalk/switch and a micro relay! Stalk would be easier as it's a very simple plug and play. :)

just called up my local Toyota dealer, and price for the OEM switch is $245.00 :o

i might have to hang back and wait until someone sells theirs :(

Evo

Bargain it down.. I remember my mate got his for $200 :)

apparently they are up around $290, so that is with discount...

i don't know, i may see what i can do with the switch i have...?

thanks for the help chicken and kenny :D

Evo

Yeah I was quoted $280 here in Perth and a wrecker in wanted $175 for it... Not cheap.

Your switch could work but will need to tap into the headlight dimmer stalk wires (i think foglight switch is pin 1 and 2).

• 5 months later...

This is very encouraging. I have recently purchased 2010 Conquest (don't come with OEM fog lights). Had dealer fit after market lights. Not happy, look nothing like Factory Lights and the dash switch is cheeap and nasty and not illuminated so you can't find it in the dark to turn them off. Do you know if 2010 is same as what you found in earlier model?

This is very encouraging. I have recently purchased 2010 Conquest (don't come with OEM fog lights). Had dealer fit after market lights. Not happy, look nothing like Factory Lights and the dash switch is cheeap and nasty and not illuminated so you can't find it in the dark to turn them off. Do you know if 2010 is same as what you found in earlier model?

hi its easier for your car as they are all prewired for foglights apparently. did your dealer use oem foglights? the factory foglight harness will be hanging behind the foglight covers which plug to the oem foglights. inside the car you have to install the micro relay located behind the headunit/ac dials and install the headlight dimmer stalk w/ foglight switch. pretty much plug and play.

this was cited from kenneth's posts in this thread: here

Edited by chicken

• 1 year later...

hey guys

just recently brought a fog light kit from ebay.

my rollas already pre-wired...just wondering...how do u have an in-car switch without using the foglight-incorporated stalk???? the luminated switch that the kit came with has 2 red, 1 black and one yellow wire???

please help me

thanks