09 ZRE sway bar combo

dutchie101

HEya,

Ive copied my post from the corolla forum to here, just incase some sus minded people may miss it there.

Im looking at starting to upgrade the ZRE sus. If any one has any experience with the combo below or the parts separately, Could you please share your feedback. Cheeers! wink.gif

I am using the car as an everyday drive, with the weekly hard drive thru the Adelaide hills. Old drifters never die! - they end up in FF Corolla's laugh.gif

Firstly i need to reduce the roll, looking at Cusco rear sway(stabilizer bar) and C-One front 25mm.

Im probably going to end up getting low Eibach springs (30mm drop), leaving the standard struts till they fail.

I think there are a few quite knowledgeable sus folk out there, hopefully they can shed some light on this combo.

Thanks in advance,

D

Firstly i need to reduce the roll, looking at Cusco rear sway(stabilizer bar) and C-One front 25mm.

Im probably going to end up getting low Eibach springs (30mm drop), leaving the standard struts till they fail.

Probably best to avoid the front anti-roll bar upgrade as it'll probably induce a tiny bit of understeer; it will make the car corner flatter though, but I doubt it'll actually be faster.

But I haven't driven on of the ZRE's, so don't know how much it understeers as it is; nor if the rear upgrade will cause too much oversteer.

the ZRE's handles not bad on mountain. id have to agree with superdave you dont need a front sway even tho it will make u corner flatter it will cause understeer... so try a front strut and rear sway combo instead. my zre isnt modded up that much... just take it on mountain cruises alot, it only has kings springs and 235/45/R17 Federals 595SS seem to do well so far... but the body roll needs to be fixed... coilovers is my next move... reason being that my rim offset is off abit too much haha +38... so my tyres are scrubbing the guard... gonna fix that with abit of camber hope that fixes it, and also i want to ride lower and firmer too. this is my opinion about the ZREs

Thanks Ray and SuperDave.

Ive ordered the c-one front sway and the cusco rear. Ill let you all know how this all progresses, please see any additional comments in the "corolla" forum :)

Wouldnt the oversteer from the rear sway bar somewhat neutralize the tiny amount of understeer induced on the front? I dont have a huge ammount of sus knowledge re front wheel drives, ive been a rear wheeler all my life so this is all new to me. I wish i had one of those race suspension problem shooting booklets. They run through problems and solutions when tuning a suspension set up.

Im wondering why TRD only offer a front sway bar then? as does C-One, both companies are well hursed in toyota handling, yet neither offer rear sway bars. Surely they wouldnt be selling products that induce understeer would they? The TRD front is 25mm, the same as the C-one bar.

TRD

Ive ordered the c-one front sway and the cusco rear. Ill let you all know how this all progresses, please see any additional comments in the "corolla" forum :)

Wouldnt the oversteer from the rear sway bar somewhat neutralize the tiny amount of understeer induced on the front? I dont have a huge ammount of sus knowledge re front wheel drives, ive been a rear wheeler all my life so this is all new to me. I wish i had one of those race suspension problem shooting booklets. They run through problems and solutions when tuning a suspension set up.

Im wondering why TRD only offer a front sway bar then? as does C-One, both companies are well hursed in toyota handling, yet neither offer rear sway bars. Surely they wouldnt be selling products that induce understeer would they? The TRD front is 25mm, the same as the C-one bar.

TRD

haha true well we shall see.. well since it will make ur ride corner alot flatter it will put more stress on ur tyres when cornering. when you reckon youll get the bars ? before 14th? haha i wanna go try them since ill be in sydney for top gear live :D

Edited by Ray89

TRD

There are plenty of mods offered by the JDM y0 tuners that don't do anything. HKS spark plugs for example are no different from decent NGK/Denso/Bosch plugs or the earth kits that don't do anything.

I'd skip the front strut brace, they don't do much. As for your FWD handling; they tend to be prone to lift-off oversteer when the rear anti-roll bar is too stiff, this is obviously countered by using more throttle (the opposite of rwd driving ;)). The setup for RWD is basically the same as FWD, you'll pick it up in no time. The main difference is you need to get the car to oversteer to go through a corner fast, where as a RWD you want it setup to understeer because they tend to have a lot of power and can easily get the back out. But be careful as you can easily make a FWD twitchy and prone to snap oversteer at the limit.

Thanks SuperDave (man that mustachio on your avatar kills me every time!) :)

Yep Im aware of the useless mods/aftermarket bits, not keen on anything other than what i know works really. Im normally one to dyno any change to make sure its worth it.

I must say Im use to setting up FR drift cars (oversteer), so pretty different grip FR. Prob more akin to FF by the sounds of it!

Ive already got the front strut brace sitting here, so i may as well use it. Anything to "box" in that front end. Im aware it wont do much other than stop chassis twist. With the firmer sus and sway bar, normally twisting on the front end is inevitable.

Cheerin