Mongoose remotes

GeoffW1

Hi,

I fell in the ocean with the Mongoose remote keychain in my pocket. I thought 'uh-oh, can I remember the over-ride?'

So I opened the clamshell there and it was dry inside!! It was evidently quite water tight, or being in my pocket prevented it being actually flooded all round.

Cheers

In all seriousness though, most automotive remotes of decent quality have a seal in them to help make them water-resistant (ie. splashes, rain, etc) but due to the design, they can usually take a more than that. Considering the things keys can go though, having a seal is just common sense really. Even the standard Toyota remotes can take the occasional dunking:

image605.jpg

On a side note, for really low power electronics like that, even if the insides did get wet and it stopped responding, all you would need to do is dry it out and you would be able to get it to work again (providing the battery is still okay). Electronics on a scale like this are pretty hardy these days. I've put USB drives through the washing machine and dryer numerous times and they still work.

Hi,

This is true. If you do see moisture on opening it, the wisdom is to whip the battery out quickly, then dry the innards.

I never mentioned I had my mobile phone in the other pocket, and that was not working when I first looked.

So, the battery came out, and I took the phone to bits later. I sprayed both sides of the circuit boards and all contacts with WD40, dried the excess and left it a while. On reassembly it worked !!

Cheers

... I sprayed both sides of the circuit boards and all contacts with WD40, dried the excess and left it a while.

I'd highly suggest for future reference, should this occur to any portable electronic device, to use methylated spirits instead. This would provide the same cleaning effects and would dry with no residue. Much cleaner to work with as well.

If drying in the sun is not a possibility or you really want to make sure it is dry, fill a cup with uncooked rice and wedge the circuit board in there for a little while.