Mounting a 2 way radio in spare single DIN space.

Adrian

Hi,

I need to buy, then maybe place a UHF 2 way radio in the what seems to be a spare spot. This being the single DIN space below the A/C and air flow controls in a non climate control car. I have measured it with an old radio and it seems to fit if I where to cut away some additional plastic, as labeled the "top lip" in the picture attachment. I may also need to cut away some small amount of internal plastic to gain some width.

Has anyone done this before ? It looks possible. I will be giving it a go in a couple of weeks.

Thanks

post-3453-1265362759_thumb.jpg

Just to make a correction, the space there is actually smaller than a singe DIN unfortunately. Not that it really matters in this case.

Anyways, the closest someone here has come to utilising that space is Jeff (Hidden Taco) who previously mounted his ScanGauge there:

Custom Scan Gauge 2 Mount

image107r.jpg

Just reading your original post, you mentioned you may need to cut away some plastic on the inside to gain width.

Hopefully it's only a very small amount because the main part that reduces the width are those round bulges in there (the parts I managed to scratch up in the photo below). Unfortunately, these form part of the little pocket on the side of the console (phone/wallet pocket I use it as) and you can sand it back to only gain about 2mm at most either side I would say.

dsc03342co5.jpg

Mmm.

I was going to get a full sized unit with a removable face. I think there are some on knowns here. After a bit of thought, I've decided to pay $50 more and get a compact one that has all the display on the hand unit. Will decide on a location after getting it.

eg --> http://www.gme.net.au/products/radio-commu...b-radios/TX3340

Thanks again for the input.

This is where I mounted my two way radio and my taximeter fitted nicely in this spot. just out of interest where do you get this scan tool and how much ?

Edited by scootastaxisx6

Hi,

Thanks for the idea. I currently have a brake controller (for towing) mounted in that location. But yes, thats the first place other that under the radio that I would have placed it.

I will probably get it from Ebay. Not sure on the price as yet. I'll have a search to see their specs & worth.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the idea. I currently have a brake controller (for towing) mounted in that location. But yes, thats the first place other that under the radio that I would have placed it.

I will probably get it from Ebay. Not sure on the price as yet. I'll have a search to see their specs & worth.

Thanks

another thought, you can get radio's that you can put the front plate in that spot and the bulk of the radio can be placed under the seat or in the boot or anywhere convenient.

Hi, you might try this:-

GME TX3440

that way you can hide the transceiver itself and just have to find a spot to hang the speaker/mic.

I swear I just heard an echo. Scroll up a little :P :

Mmm.

I was going to get a full sized unit with a removable face. I think there are some on knowns here. After a bit of thought, I've decided to pay $50 more and get a compact one that has all the display on the hand unit. Will decide on a location after getting it.

eg -->

Hi, you might try this:-

GME TX3440

that way you can hide the transceiver itself and just have to find a spot to hang the speaker/mic.

I swear I just heard an echo. Scroll up a little :P :

Mmm.

eg -->

There I go wasting 0's and 1's again :rolleyes: