Hiace - Turbo Timer

PimpMyVan

Hello guys,

I just recently bought a 2009 3.0ltr Turbo Diesel KDH201R (LWB) Hiace for carrying my motorbike and camping in etc etc. I am trying to work out if I should put a turbo timer on the van or not to prolong the life of the engine. I have been doing some reading and it seems that a lot of people seem to think that modern day turbo engines don't require the idle time to cool the turbo after a trip. I don't think that the Hiace is particularly modern mind you, Drum brakes on the rear and dirty big leaf springs etc lol.

So I read the Manufacturers book and it suggests that normal driving should be around 20 seccond idle period before engine shut off and long distance, heavy loading should require about a minute of idle time.

Do you guys agree with this and if so do you think its worth me getting a turbo timer? Also note I have a Viper 5002 (Non remote start, don't want remote start in 5 speed manual lol) alarm system coming in the mail and I am thinking that it could be a real hassle to try and get the alarm to work with the turbo timer (I am having the alarm proffessionally installed of course). I am also thinking that the install of a turbo timer would require disabling the stock immoblizer unit that doesn't allow the motor to run when a key with the correct rf chip isnt in the ignition, because as soon as I pull the chipped key out of the ignition, boom the motor should shut off even tho the turbo timer is keeping volts into the ignition system.

Also, does any one know where I would find the tacho wire on the engine, thats of course if there is one, I would like to install a little tacho to monitor my RPM (Seeings as toyota have removed the tacho on my model van grrrrrrrrrrrr).

Thanks very muchly in advance guys :)

Ian

You can get it to work with the factory immobiliser and aftermarket alarm but is it really worth the time and/or money? All you need to do is take it easy for the last minute or 2 before you get to your destination. Failing that, keep the motor running while you're getting out of the car and organising your stuff and before you know it it's time to turn it off.

You can get it to work with the factory immobiliser and aftermarket alarm but is it really worth the time and/or money? All you need to do is take it easy for the last minute or 2 before you get to your destination. Failing that, keep the motor running while you're getting out of the car and organising your stuff and before you know it it's time to turn it off.

Yea I'm thinking what your thinking. Even the extreme scenario of waiting a minute is not so extreme lol. Still want to know how I hook up a tacho to it tho, I would like to see my RPM.

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
Oh also in regards to the tacho, I'm just getting me one of these things:

http://www.scangauge.com.au/support/xgauge.shtml

Yep. You should get one. I have one and its a great tool. Especially for the yaris cause it doesnt have a proper temperature gauge.

Yes definately, I have it installed now and it rocks!!! I mean I really only wanted it as a tacho and all the other info is pretty kool as well tho such as water temp and intake air temp etc.

The RPM is updated every second at the fastest setting so I guess in terms of a Tacho its not really dead accurate (appart from the start of that second) but I'm not racing or anything so it allows me to see what I am reving at when on a constant speed and so I am happy with it and don't feel the need for another tach.

Reading ECU codes could be handy, well should be handy except no where can I find a repair manual for my Van!!!!!!!