Lift vs Turbo

xhibita

Each pound of boost gives you about 7 Killowatts of power, prior to lift the Stivo puts out the same as a normal corolla (100KW) which means lift is the same as a 6 pound turbo. the only difference being that a turbo would kick in about 4,000rpm we have to wait for 6,000.

Cheers

Blade

i dissagree with your assumption. a rex is 7 pund from factory. can u keep up with a rex? ;)

u cant compare a turbo to a na car. it is totally diff.

A rex motor is more than 100 KW without the turbo and its a 2 litre so it has more torque which aids down low, in other words, quicker off the mark due to torque and boost kicks in quicker than lift so peak perfomrance is achieved quicker, different gear ratios its apples with oranges BUT if you were to take a stock coroll and put a 6 pound turbo in it and delay the boost until 6,000rpm and change the limiter to 8,200 rpm then it would be comparable, that would be more an apple to apple comparison. It was a generalisation, but 7KW per pound is a "fair indication". It doesnt mean it will keep up with a car that has 7 pound of boost, hence I put about when it kicks in.

And besides I can beat a rex. If he takes off in 3rd gear :P

Cheers

Dan

If you think about it Blade Hunter might be close to it.

In Lift I find my stivo stays with a rex even pulls in the rex a bit. (over 6000rpm)

Where I get slaughtered by the rex is the 3000rpm to 6000rpm range (hence Blade Hunters statement the rex gets it's power down lower)

Know as the rex is 7 pounds it should therefore be quicker as compared to 6 pounds, but why can I stay with it over 6000rpm, well the rex is heavier.

When I think it throught logically like this, what Blade Hunter has to say sounds about right.

This is just what my experience of driving the car every day leeds me to believe (I do drive approx 100km a day to & from work)

In sydney

a new celica dude was showing his mate how the celica could perform using lift.

he was taking on a WRX, and maxxed lift in each gear change and managed to stay level with the wrx.

till he miss-shifted and then it was all over.

Yes he kept up. But a few thousands dollars or so later and a 6 month wait till the car was back on the road.

yes lift can perform and it can be used against a car like a WRX, but no way did the WRX work anywhere near as hard as the celica did using lift.

illuminati: read slower...

blade: agree with you. it's not all just about KW. it's also about the NM. Bigger capacity of your engine..the greater the NM thus, more torque.

with the previous corolla (1ZZ-FE) max torque was at 4,200rpm. So, when at full throttle..you'll feel it 'push' just that little bit more when i reached my max torque.

if only we had 2 stage VVTL-i. first kick at 3,000rpm and the 2nd kick at 6,000rpm. (like what the lexus have)

and with the 1 PSI = 7kw. On a stock car, yes...

but..the ratio increases as the engine is modified and made more efficient. possibly 1 PSI = 9-11KW.

-Chris

Hi all.

New to the forums and like the sportivos as well...pretty much a Toyota fan all round, driving an AE92 GTi at the moment.

As for Lift vs Turbo, I personally prefer N/A motors because of their revability. But whileLift can attain similar KW figures, it can't match a Turbo for Torque, which is where most races are won and lost.

Cheers.

there is an aftermarket part for vtec engines (honda) to let drivers reset vtec from low cam to high cam (2,000-6,700 rpm) by a control switch. if a part like this was available for VVTL-i engines would this be an advantage?

This was investigated by celica owners, and those who have installed aftermarket parts to lower the setting where lift kicks in, have found no noticable benefit or difference, unlike VTEC.