ZRE throttle body mod

Hey hey,

Ive been looking at enlarging the stock throttle body on the ZRE and fitting a new over sized butterfly with smooth flowing screws instead of the chunky stock ones.

I do have access to one in Japan, but im wondering what the cost would be for machining and butterfly etc if done here, as i think the Jap one requires exchange of the throttle body. I could save a bundle and lots of time if i could get it done here. Im waiting on some more info from the guy in Japan re specs, gains etc.

Does anyone know any machinists here (in SA maybe) that could do the work? Would i be looking toward pro engine builders and their contacts to help?

:ph34r:

Im guessing at maybe 5-10kw increases, would that be on the money?

Edited by dutchie101

I would be amazed if you got 1-2kw increase.

Come on really, its a ZRE, your not outflowing your throttle body yet. Maybe if it was (really) worked or boosted you might be looking at changing your TB.

Hey hey,

Ive been looking at enlarging the stock throttle body on the ZRE and fitting a new over sized butterfly with smooth flowing screws instead of the chunky stock ones.

I do have access to one in Japan, but im wondering what the cost would be for machining and butterfly etc if done here, as i think the Jap one requires exchange of the throttle body. I could save a bundle and lots of time if i could get it done here. Im waiting on some more info from the guy in Japan re specs, gains etc.

Does anyone know any machinists here (in SA maybe) that could do the work? Would i be looking toward pro engine builders and their contacts to help?

:ph34r:

Enlarge throttle bofy will give u a massive power increace

I had a VW in china couple of years ago.1.6EFI engine with cable throttle control

I had the throttle body mashined and old VW throttle had 2 butterflys

I connect the 2 butterflys together

So the result is even u push the paddle a little

the 2 butterflys open together.

it feels like a turbo engine,disadvantage is hard to control in heavy traffic

ZRE using electronic throttle body

What i'm thinking is enlarge that maybe need ECU adjustment

Enlarge throttle bofy will give u a massive power increace

I'm doubting that. Like Mole said, there needs to be a restriction occuring to see huge gains from it. The 2zz, yes a completely different engine to the OP's (much like the VW comparison), gains very little from over boring.

Having done a mod identical to this (bigger TB) on the Yaris, there are a couple of things I've learnt.

but remember, i am basing my findings on a 1NZ-FE...

Stock TB has an ID of 49.37mm (afaik same as the 2NZ-FE, which is .2l smaller)

New TB has an ID of 60.38mm

1. Yes you will see a small gain in power from this, but it would not be more than 5Kw... probably less.

2. The main thing I seemed to gain is midrange torque... which was noticeable.

3. With the plenum modified to match, I think you might see a slightly higher gain.

Stock TB has an ID of 49.37mm (afaik same as the 2NZ-FE, which is .2l smaller)

New TB has an ID of 60.38mm

1. Yes you will see a small gain in power from this, but it would not be more than 5Kw... probably less.

2. The main thing I seemed to gain is midrange torque... which was noticeable.

3. With the plenum modified to match, I think you might see a slightly higher gain.

I should have made this a little more clear i suppose. Im not (nor ever really) after top end power increase. Im more interested in chasing mid range power and micks comments are moreso what i was interested in. The ZRE responded really well to the exhaust mods, showing significant mid range increases in both torque and power, so i though the induction side would be the next obvious step.

Now before we get all lift loving, i know the 2ZR-FE ZRE isnt a powerhouse, ive said this before. It does respond well to flow mods its seems so far. Now if all these small mods net me another 15-20kw mid range, then ill be a happy camper.

Mick, were the results taken from before/after dyno testing, or guestimate? did you get the work done here mick or just do a TB swap?

Thanks Dave and Mole for your comments. As this (and most ZRE) work hasnt been ploughed thru before, i am generally in R&D phase all the time so chasing small increases is a relatively cheap exercise compared to S/Charging etc..

Lets see how the Injen CAI goes. I will do before/after dyno results i think.

I have found a place in melb that looks like they do fly-by-wire TB enlargement. Waiting to hear back from them.

I have not dyno'd the car, so this is based on a guesimate.

I also have a K&N pod and a CAI on the car, which would add to the improvement in power/torque.

I used a 1ZZ DBW TB as its basicly a direct bolt on to the yaris plenum

I am going to try and find another yaris plenum and modify it to see if i see any more gain.

sounds interesting mate! i can't imagine there being to big of a gain but 5kw would be nice, i hope it works out for you!

make sure you post up your results, i'm keen to see how this turns out. best of luck to you :)

Yeah 10kw is a bit high :rolleyes: anything around the 5 mark would be good.

Just got a quote from the guys in melb already, looking at around AU$220-$330 for the job, and no responsibility regarding the FBW electronics or failure.

Ive asked if they machine with the electronics hardware on or off (if it can be removed obviously better).

and no responsibility regarding the FBW electronics or failure.

You always have neutral and turning the ignition off as a fail safe :lol:

The Japanese mob don't have dyno's to show off their work? Max Bore (or some name similar) in the USA is another option to price up too.

At least you know where you want your gains. Any extractors or cams on the market for the 2zr yet?

Yeah 10kw is a bit high :rolleyes: anything around the 5 mark would be good.

Just got a quote from the guys in melb already, looking at around AU$220-$330 for the job, and no responsibility regarding the FBW electronics or failure.

Ive asked if they machine with the electronics hardware on or off (if it can be removed obviously better).

If its anything like the yaris or 1zz one, the electronics can be removed... with a drill (they are rivited on LOL)

The Japanese mob don't have dyno's to show off their work?

Just waiting for some more info. Ill let you know what i find out.

Any extractors or cams on the market for the 2zr yet?

Not sure, i havent come across any yet, nor have i seen any installed on any ZRE on minkara. If you see any around please let me know.

what are you going to do to correct the idle with a larger throttle butterfly?

If it was my engine, I'd source a spare throttle to do the mod to so you can revert to stock.

If it was my engine, I'd source a spare throttle to do the mod to so you can revert to stock.

Thanks, i was just thinking the same thing. The Jap one claims to be able to run easily with stock ECU. Will the throttle control be actuated automatically by the ECU to maintain decent idle or will i then need a aftermarket computer to take car of it?

I was under the limited assumption that the ECU would compensate, am i wrong in thinking so?

Mick, what did you do to stabilize idle, if anything?

Yep, getting hold of another TB to play with is a good idea, just have to find one at a decent price! If anyone knows of any....

Thanks, i was just thinking the same thing. The Jap one claims to be able to run easily with stock ECU. Will the throttle control be actuated automatically by the ECU to maintain decent idle or will i then need a aftermarket computer to take car of it?

I was under the limited assumption that the ECU would compensate, am i wrong in thinking so?

Mick, what did you do to stabilize idle, if anything?

Yep, getting hold of another TB to play with is a good idea, just have to find one at a decent price! If anyone knows of any....

the toyota TB has a small hex head grub screw covered in glue that you adjust... thats how you fix the idle.

or, if you are like me and strip the stupid thing, you drill it out, tap it and put in a normal bolt LOL

Thanks Mick, shall see how i go...

Might look at getting some extractors made up as no one seems to have any yet... Cant be too difficult for my exhaust guy to work thru. Ive been doing some reading about making headers/extractors this morning. Very interesting. Suggestions seem for a 1800cc, max usable power at 5,500rpm. 38mm primary pipe diameter, 860mm long, collected to a 63.5mm collector. I have found some software that you can input all matter of engine dimensions etc etc to help you build the most effective setup. Im wondering if i should buy the software, think its only around US$50. Ill keep searching and learning till i come up with more info.

Advance headers are just up the road from me, ill have a chat to them on monday see what they come up with, looks like they have done Toyota 4's before..

Edited by dutchie101

Update: the Jap throttle body is only 2mm larger. No power figures could be given. Hmmm ill skip that and get it done locally if i find another TB somewhere.

Advance will look into ZRE headers/extractors. Expecting a call next week. He can also pass me onto someone that will make a one off custom set for around AU$800. Ill keep looking..

Edited by dutchie101