WHEEL NUT QUESTION

Ryanocer

I have recently changed my wheels/tyres on my Kluger to a set of larger rims and tyres. From 245/55R/19 to 265/40R/22. They look fantastic on the new Grande but I am a bit concerned about what the guys at Ian Diffen were telling me about fitting them. The full story being that I purchased the wheels/tyres on the net and was assured that the wheels were suited to the Kluger.I had been told that the company I had purchased them from was a very reputable one. Anyway the Ian Diffen guys were concerned about how many turns it took to tighten the wheel nuts on the new wheels/tyres and told me I could be comprimising the saftey of the car. On obtaining a second opinion from the RAC ( west australian version of the NRMA )I was told that my new wheel nuts had a 5.5 number of turns to fully tighten and the old wheel nuts on the original wheels/tyres had 8 full turns to tighten. They told me that this should not really be a problem but just to make sure to have the wheel /tyre company I purchased them from put something in writing stating that the wheels are actually safe. I tried to find any information about wheel nuts and, number of turns to tighten ,on the wheel tyre bible but couldn't find a thing about it. Could someone please direct me to any information about this or possibly answer this question as I'm now concerned about driving around in our new car. A worried driver Ryanocer

Do you have the right type of wheel nuts on?

Apparently I do they are the wheel nuts supplied by the manufacturers of the wheels

Ideally, you want the same engagement onto the thread as the diameter of the stud.

IE. M12 stud - you want about 12mm of engagement.

M12 x 1.5 pitch stud (typical for Toyota) equals 8 turns of the nut (12/1.5 =8).

5.5 turns of the nut times 1.5mm pitch = 8.25mm of engagement which is not ideal.

Ideally, you want the same engagement onto the thread as the diameter of the stud.

IE. M12 stud - you want about 12mm of engagement.

M12 x 1.5 pitch stud (typical for Toyota) equals 8 turns of the nut (12/1.5 =8).

5.5 turns of the nut times 1.5mm pitch = 8.25mm of engagement which is not ideal.

Thanks for the reply rob323. Are you saying that therefore the wheels are not really safe because there is not enough wheel nut engaging on to the wheel studs and if so how would I be able to correct it

Are you saying that therefore the wheels are not really safe because there is not enough wheel nut engaging on to the wheel studs and if so how would I be able to correct it

I'm not saying they are "unsafe", just that is is less than ideal.

Unfortunately, the only way to get more engagement is to install longer wheel studs.

If you are concerned, then do as the RAC advised, write to the supplier of the wheels and have them state in writing their view on the matter.

Make sure your wheels are listed on your insurance policy and make sure you keep a copy of the reply from the supplier with it.

Are you saying that therefore the wheels are not really safe because there is not enough wheel nut engaging on to the wheel studs and if so how would I be able to correct it

I'm not saying they are "unsafe", just that is is less than ideal.

Unfortunately, the only way to get more engagement is to install longer wheel studs.

If you are concerned, then do as the RAC advised, write to the supplier of the wheels and have them state in writing their view on the matter.

Make sure your wheels are listed on your insurance policy and make sure you keep a copy of the reply from the supplier with it.

Good idea rob323 i'll do that, that way I should still be covered if anything goes wrong