Moles Natural Progression

Mole

1991 JZA70 Supra. Automatic. :lol:

supra1.jpg

supra2.jpg

supra3.jpg

Has got quite a few mods, heres what I can remember:

TRD Sticker (+10KW)

Tein HA Coilovers (NEEEEEDS camber adjustment. Huge neg camber on rear, need to get adjustable camber thingys).

Unknown aftermarket sways (front one is red? TRD?)

FMIC

Single Turbo Conversion w/ Supra CT26 (stock, not highflowed)

3 Piece BBS Meshies (16x8 I think, 245 wide tyres with a little bulge)

3" exhaust, pretty loud, I -think- its a HKS Hi-Power on the back. Has a cat (yay legal)

3.5" custom dump (if I remember correct)

Apexi SAFC (untuned :()

Leaking power steering :(

Last dyno, before FMIC and SAFC was 240ish at the rear wheels. Suspect more like 280 with a tune now.

Overall its in good condish, some trim needs repair but EVERYTHING works. Even the sunroof! Paint needs some attention, possibly more then I can give it unfortunately. I'll see what its like after some Ultimate Compound.

**** this thing hammers, its by far the fastest thing I've ever been in. I think thats more an indication of what I've been in more then anything else though :lol: . Boost kicks in earlyish, and kicks in hard.

Theres prolly more, but I prolly forgot.

Engine shot after tea. Edit: added engine shot.

Edited by Mole

Just going to clean it up, make sure its running 100% and fix any little quirks.

Gotta change the intercooler piping, its a bit dodge. It works, but for how long I don't know.

Prolly gotta quieten down the exhaust a bit.

Gotta replace window seals (water is kept out but wind noise is high).

Center console hidey hole lid / arm rest needs retrimming, latch needs fixing.

Badly needs a wash and a little bit of paint needs looking at for possible rust.

Really badly needs new rear tyres, he gave me some with 50-70% tread which I will put on until funds allow for 4 new (good) ones. One of the current tyres rotation is incorrect even!

Got some (small) debt I want to get rid of first and I'm pretty happy with the way it is atm. I think any mods I do before I can get an alternate daily will be visual and reliability related only, its got plenty of power and the suspension is pretty awesome already.

I was surprised with the CT26 as well, the prev owner was going to put a GT30 on at some stage but didnt get around to it. CT26 goes plenty hard enough for me and will be staying until it dies or I get a daily.

Edited by Mole

• 3 months later...

Well, after a bit of fuss I have the Supra back. As some of you may know there was a lil issue when I left WTF Auto (broke down...) but its all been sorted, very very quickly as well, WTF after sales service is certainly the best I've ever had (for anything), just a shame about the circumstances. I wont go into detail but no real damage was done.

So, to the latest round of repairs and mods:

• Even more seals
  • Even more hoses/pipes
  • Timing belt (old one was covered in oil... ew)
  • Intercooler piping redone in stainless (hells yeah, no more leaks, no more PVC!)
  • Front sway bar mounts replaced - it was loose enough you could move it ~10mm with your hands apparently. Made a significant difference.
  • Dump pipe modified - new flange that isn't a POS leaking rusty heap of crap, pipe modified to give better flow to the wastegate (was just hitting a wall before). You can see whats been added in the pic. Exhaust also raised in the process... yay less scrapage!
  • BOV removed - it was broken. GFB heap of crap! Might replace it... might not.

So hopefully its now fully leak free. If there's anything else, it must be freaking obscure or just ridiculous, cause a silly amount of stuff has been replaced now.

Before, boost came on at about 2800 and slowly gained... now its almost fully on at like 3200! Bleed valve on the wastegate had to be turned down a huge amount, the dump and pvc intercooler piping must of been leaking like a bitch! I'd get a boost cut defeater thingy... but being a CT26 it maxes out at like 13psi anyways (running 10 atm, need to tweak it).

Unfortunately due to extra stuff being found that was leaking, there wasn't time / I couldn't afford a tune. So thats still to be done...

Exhaust next. Got some ideas for that.

Pics!:

supra_pipes.jpg

Good shot of the welding, and gives you a small idea of the route:

supra_pipe_detail.jpg

Dump modifications (it may not be shiny and new, but its functional) :

supra_dump.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Anyhoo, got the SAFC tuned, not big gains, maybe 10hp I've been told, as there was a crappy basemap on there but not much further to go. Its an improvement anyways, and has sorted out a bit of low down bogging off the line where there wasnt enough fuel getting in.

Final tune is the solid colour, earlier one is the lighter colour, it was suffering badly from heat soak so the final tune looks like it has lower power but if I went for a power run it'd be more like 260RWHP.

Ignore the stuff on the right, the point that data was gotten from is like 3400RPM. Keen to get a proper power run in, it'll rev a bit more then is showing as well, but I gotta get my manual button fixed first, cause with it on its still popping out of gear, Tristan had to rip out the dash and force the ECU to stay in 3rd to tune :(

dyno.jpg

• 2 months later...

Small update, car progress is almost nil. As I have been unemployed for a bit over a month now I have not been able to spend any money on the car. However, my brother being a legend got me a EBC for my Birthday last month and last weekend Rudi being of similar legendhood gave me a hand wiring it in... in that he did all the wiring.

Results:

Turbosmart E-Boost Street 40PSI

ebc1.jpg

ebc2.jpg

Boost now comes on earlier, around 2600rpm, which is around 3-400 rpm earlier then before, it also comes on harder and I have dialed in a couple more PSI as it holds it better.

However... because I can only street tune it I cant dial in boost correction, so its actually set to 14psi and fairly quickly drops down to about 12psi. If I set the duty cycle higher for more boost it hits cut, and its it hard and fast. Solution? Dyno tune it and get some boost correction in! Its so easy to do but I need precise numbers so not going to try on the street... yet. Should get a quick SAFC re-tune anyways if I'm dialing in 4psi more I suppose, but its all stuff I cant afford!

Rough tune aside, its gotten the results I've wanted so far (more response), so for now it'll do. Should last the life of the car as well... don't see myself ever going higher then 40PSI!

Next up... sort out clicking noise coming from front right brake at some low speed maneuvering...

• 3 months later...

Little update, I have been unemployed for the last 3 months so havent done much except a few trim pieces, cleaning a few things up, mostly interior stuff I can do for free or next to.

However today I got a call that I got a job I interviewed for yesterday. I also got this in the mail...

whoooosh.jpg

Oh yes, there will be high flow. The exact specs for it have been lost in the ages of time, but it looks to be a '60 trim' or equivalent. It looks a bit too big to be a 57. Its in immaculate condition spins freely, 0 shaft play, not even much carbon buildup. Has apparently got 5000kms on it but it looks like it has less!

Going to get the exhaust housing ceramic coated, save up a few bucks from new job and get it in asap.