Which is better, Alpine CDA-9886i or Pioneer DEH-7250SD

Alpine, no question about it. Pioneer are ok for a budget brand but Alpine are just that step above. They just feel quality. Yes I've had both.

Sound quality will ultimately come down to your cables, speakers and amp(s). If the HU has RCA outs then your set.

Edited by Mole

Well im running two pioneers Gm3300t's, pioneer d-7400m, alpine type-s co-axial speakers and 8 guage DNA wiring, I am looking for something that i can connect ipod to without the mess of cables and the sacrafice of sound quality. I also dont mind the iDA-X200 as i dont need the cd player part

Alpine with iPod cable. Its a proper iPod cable, no audio quality loss, interfaces and is controlled by the head unit. Make sure the head unit you get supports your particular iPod, brand new ones should be ok but stores have a bit of a reputation for not having the latest stock.

Ditch the co-axial speakers and get some splits. Type-s splits aren't super clear (I'm not saying they're bad, just that you can do better for the same money), if you want clear for cheap, get some Hertz Dieci DSK splits (they call them 'system' speakers). Italian speakers, made by Audison.

As mensioned above the alpine wins for ipod control i also find the menu alot easier to work through then the pioneers. I cant comment on the current pioneer decks but previous ones have been known to have the rca preouts burn out inside the headunit.

i run a pioneer headunit in my aurion and i ran a pioneer unit in my corolla previously. however If i was goin a single din then i would choose the alpine... as mentioned in the thread, your setup also has a big part to play, such a wiring, amps, speakers etc etc

i like the alpine for the fact that you can use their "IMPRINT" technology to tune the sound. Might be all ****, but having sat in a few cars with alpine set ups, i was blown away.

have you considered saving a bit more and looking at the 9887 or the pioneer PRS headunit series?

Yes have looked into PRS and 9887, but when i go and buy the cda-117e(new Cda-9886) i am getting the imprint kit also, virtually making it a 9887 anyways. now im just gonna get the new subs, not sure of what though any body got suggestions?