windscreen wiper fault

hi there.

i have an '89 corolla hatch and earlier today one of my wipers stopped moving,[well, it does still move a little, not much though]. how much would i expect a garage to charge to fit another working unit, just a rough guess?

Edited by plastic man

• 2 months later...

hi there.

i have an '89 corolla hatch and earlier today one of my wipers stopped moving,[well, it does still move a little, not much though]. how much would i expect a garage to charge to fit another working unit, just a rough guess?

is there somewhere i can go to that would show a diagram of the wiper motor, linkages, pivot arms, etc? from the little bit of research i've done, i get the impression that the wiper problem i have may be easier to solve than i imagined.

can anyone help me please?

Remove the wiper arm which is no longer moving (should be a small plastic clip and one nut to remove) and see if the spindle is moving when the wipers are turned on. If it is, then you have either stripped the thread on the arm/spindle or the nut wasn't done up tight enough. If it doesn't move than the linkage connecting that spindle to the wiper motor is loose or broken.