Fuel pump - hm-ing noise...

Speedz

Hi guys...

As described in the topic header and description anyone knows whats going on...? The crappy mechanic said take it back to Toyota dealer after trying to fix it on 2 occasion but the noise return everytime...

sometimes the hm-ing/ whining gets really loud and sometimes its quiet but the noise always returns on each trip out...

so besides getting the pump replaced does anyone have suggestion as to what to look at 1st myself before throwing in the towel and spend on a new fuel pump? my mate said he could get the filter and the pump out, so no worries about stuffing up there and i d/l the instruction manuel to get familiar with parts in question...

p/s the mechanic said the new pump would cost close to 700 bucks... *ouch*

sounds like it could be something inside the pump playing up ..... if the car is covered under warranty go straight back to your dealership and get them to sort it out ..... if its not covered under warranty then try a wreckers ..... i found a bunch of yaris' being wrecked on the trading post in nsw but couldnt find any in qld ..... not to say that there arent any but u might need to do a bit more of a search ..... the nsw wreckers might ship .....

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/Wheels-Tyres-Parts-Accessories/Search/Advanced-Result?Keywords=yaris&AdvancedSearchLocation=NEW%20SOUTH%20WALES&intref=marcon183&OmnSearchType=DepartmentFinder

could it be a grounding problem? because the hm-ing noise gives of different tones when i use the power windows...

also is it nessessary to use the same pump? or i can source a aftermarket pump?

yeah screw 700 bucks for a OEM fuel pump, but if i were to get a aftermarket fuel pump do i have to get one that matches the flow/pump rate of the OEM pump? Or is that sorted by the ECU?

lots of noob question there coz i never experienced that problem before...!!!

• 3 weeks later...

but if i were to get a aftermarket fuel pump do i have to get one that matches the flow/pump rate of the OEM pump? Or is that sorted by the ECU?

If possible, get one that is close to the factory fuel pump. It's not the end of the world if you don't though.

If you are still having this problem, do you want me to have a look at it for you?

• 2 weeks later...

nearly 7k from the filter change...

the pumps still makes whirring/whinging noise but there is no loss of power or accerlerating issues...

honestly i dont think it is the fuel filter clogged coz its new? I probably take off the back seats tomorrow and have a close look before attempting to take it apart after going to Autobarn to get some O-Rings etc...

the noise is irritating as... :( <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry we couldn't help get rid of your problem on Saturday. Time for a new D cell battery, woops, I mean fuel pump :whistling:.

I still think it's odd that the assembly rests on the bottom of the tank though, that has to be one avenue for noise to be transmitted.

Yeah kinda werid the D-cell battery is making the noise, i did get a quote for $125 bucks 2nd hand fuel pump from Vic excluding delivery, thinking long and hard whether to get it or leave till next year after i come back from my OS trip... :P