share my experince with u regarding GB issues

Hi everyone,

As you guys know, most of the south african made corolla sportivo have some sort of GB issues. Ranging from gear selector problem to replacing the stock clutch to something extreme(exeddy clutch). My car is currently 86k on the clock. Never trash my car or even take it to the race track. I changed my stock gear oil at 40k to redline 75-95w lightweight oil to improve the shifting 2 years ago. Yes, it was pretty good until last month. For the last month or so, i find that up shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear is just so hard or sometimes i can feel there is a 'catch' if i can shift it in. I looked thru on our forum about how to solve this problem. Some of you even suggested using longer push rod, or adjust the height of the clutch pedal or some of u even suggested to use fully synthetic gear oil with nulon G70 additives to fix the problem. So, I decided to try the first option, that is to use 2 litre of fully synthetic Nulon 75-95 GL5 gear oil with 1 tube of G70 Nulon additives. Honestly, i didnt feel anything different at all for the first few days. On one particular night, I push my car to hit lift at 2nd and 3rd gear up to 10okmh and then i slowed down and drive as usual. The gear shift changed completely after that night. Up shifting becomes much easier and much nicer to drive.But i was still not satisfied with that. Therefore, i asked my local mechanic for a second opinion. He reckoned he will adjust the clutch first and then 'bleed' the gear oil and change it to automatic dextron 3 gear oil before changing the clutch. I drop my car in this morning and i had my car back around 5 pm. The car is so much better to drive compared to using fully synthetic nulon gear oil. He told me all he did was adjust the clutch as much he could and change to gear oil to dextron 3 automatic gear oil. He said i can drive the car for few days with that oil in there. If i am not happy, he can drop the oil and refill the the nulon fully synthetic oil back (he dropped it but he stored it away for me). I am very glad with the result and i will stick to it. The message that i want to get across is, using thinner oil like automatic dextron 3 oil is not a bad idea for our car. I have my car since day one and i can understand every single problem from this car that everyone on this forum is trying to 'fix'.

Thank you for your attention

dex3 ??? lol um that would put pre-mature wear on your gears i think man... just think of it as power steering fluid lol and yeah its auto fluid too...

No it should be fine, the Getrag gearbox in my BMW used dex3 and it specifically stated ONLY auto box fluid.

The supras come from factory with ATF aswell.

I had a big concern with it and ended up going to my mechanic to confirm.

I havent seen any evidence but it's meant to have less protection but will only affect higher powered cars that put alot of pressure on the box such as 4WD turbos.

Running ATF will also reduce the drivetrain loss between the engine and the wheels as the ATF fluid it about 40% thinner then the standard fluid.

I know a people who have highly modified cars who have switched to ATF and have never had an issue with the box or shifting.

The ATF fluid seems to help with shifts alot.

Alot of the newer cars use ATF fluid.

Edited by NRG71C

Be honest, i am not sure what type of ATF that he put it in. He mentioned something like dextron 3. I might heard it wrongly. All i know is ATF and the shifting is much better now. I spoke to one mechanic before and he ever tried using AFT on manuel car to fix the hard shifting problem.I am trying it now and hope everthing is ok!!!!

Thank you for your input. I just listened to his suggestion and try it out.If the problem tends to come back after 1 week, i just ask him to swap it back what it was before!!!