ZRE screw-on permanent Roof Rails ?

Thought I'd throw it out there ... does anyone know any way I can get permanent roof rails for my ZRE ? DO 3rd party generic type rails even exist ??

I have no idea why Toyota hasn't caught up with the Euros & other Jap manufacturers and built-in roof mounts for roof racks or included permanent rails. So annoying. I hate using those awful clamp-on racks because they encourage scratching of the paintwork plus they look ugly. I had a set on my previous Corolla for a big road trip and just as I thought when I took them off the clearcoat was scratched :( Never again.

So, anyone know ?

im not sure, but is there any car out there with permanent roof rails? i dont think there is.. there is always the option to take it off. Unless you use ur roof racks quite often, then i'd understand why u want them on permanently.

im not sure, but is there any car out there with permanent roof rails? i dont think there is.. there is always the option to take it off. Unless you use ur roof racks quite often, then i'd understand why u want them on permanently.

Yeah JohnnieBoi ... like these:

post-19613-127850386618_thumb.jpg

post-19613-127850387865_thumb.jpg

http://www.thule.com.au/vehicleguide_detail.php?car_brand_id=13630&car_model_id=329134

what about these, not permanant, but a quality rack and it looks like they dont wreck the paint.

+1 for Thule racks, quality rack! every contact point with the car is covered with rubber!

At the big bike races, I'd say at least 60% of the roof racks are Thule.

Heres some pics of them on my Corolla.

With the fairing.

4599806575_556a890cce_b.jpg

Without the fairing.

4556932756_e6043d59d8_b.jpg

Might try and find a ZZE122R Levin Wagon in a wreckers to see how they've done this ... (see pic below)

Probably too long for the hatchback but obviously very possible. Grrrr, another great option Toyota wont make available to 'everyone' :(

post-19613-12786303618_thumb.jpg

Home-Schooled myself at the wreckers yesterday & here's what I learnt ...

Here's a couple of examples of what I originally had in mind (ignore the fact that they're faded & crappy looking)

post-19613-127880941045_thumb.jpg post-19613-12788094214_thumb.jpg post-19613-127880943492_thumb.jpg

I then got around the the Daewoo/Kia section and saw these so had to rip the roof lining to see how they were attached. Turns out they're just bolted on but obviously not just to the outer skin sheetmetal. There's a bit of structural stuff there.

post-19613-127880945568_thumb.jpg post-19613-127880947622_thumb.jpg

Then I happened to stumble across a smashed up security patrol car (Ford Fiesta I think) with a single rack on the roof with two spotties. I had to see how this was mounted so again I ripped out the roof lining and found it was held on by two pop rivets. Hmmm, I assume it was like this because there's no real load on a lightweight allow bar with two small spotties. You obviously couldn't use this method for a real roof rack designed to hold a decent weight or wind resistance.

post-19613-127880949818_thumb.jpg post-19613-127880951309_thumb.jpg

But then I found this...

post-19613-127880952669_thumb.jpg post-19613-127880953717_thumb.jpg

This was the roof of a 1993 Subaru Liberty and someone had obviously had a similar idea to me ;) The marks left behind indicate the tracks were 1440mm long and were held on by 7 rivets spaced at 200mm & doubled at the front & rear by 30mm. The rails were 845mm apart.

I'm now keeping my eyes peeled for a mid-90s Liberty when I'm out & about to see what the rails actually look like. I can't see myself drilling 20 odd holes into the roof of my brand new Levin to pop rivet faded dodgy old rails from a wrecked Liberty but I found it interesting that rails like this (& like the ones on the 4WDs & poeple-movers in the first few pics) are just holding onto the sheetmetal of the roof. They've obviously been modelled and designed properly in the factory but I just don't understand why Toyota can't do a similar thing or at least make it an option on the Corolla :(

Oh well. I might look into what Rhino offers to see if yo ucan get these brand new as a retrofittable type accessory. Still a bit scared to drill all those holes but I can at least investigate further.

Steve.