How to Improve the HID brightness for PRESARA

hankook

Hi All~!

I've been a great follower to this god-blessing info loaded site. But the time has come for me to ask a question which may sound very silly.

I have a 2007 Aurion Presara (bought 2months ago) and not very satisfied with the low beam. There are two factors; 1)is that the level is too low <issue already addressed, thankyou>; 2)very weak light from my HID (factory fitted/ stocked product). I was curious to know if I can just simply buy 6700K Philips HID bulbs and replace them with my stocked HID bulbs? Or do I need to be concerned about the wattage and stuff like that?

Your diverse and knowledgeble feedback will be greatly honoured~!!!

From what I've heard (don't know if it is a product issue or consumer), the HID's on the Presara are not the greatest. If it is a product issue, it could be either the lens assembly or the actual HID lamp itself.

There would be no harm picking up a pair of D4S HID lamps to try out if you can source them cheap. You should only get the 35W variety which is usually all you should be able to find for that use. If you really want some extra brightness though, I'd be getting 4300k-5000k. Any higher than that and you start to lose brightness a little, but if it is an OEM lamp product issue in the first place, then higher colour temperatures would still end up brighter.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense. I don't know how else to word it.

mmmm i did see something about Presara's HID's the other day at work ;) But i think it was referring to the fact that sometimes the HID light wouldnt fire whichas we all know just happens sometimes with these kind of lights :S

Thanks guys! That was soooooo fast and sooooooo informative. Greatly surprised and very impressed on the support of this forum's members!!!

You guys are the reason i buy toyota!

Thanks again!

Having owned a presara from brand new (3+ years) I have never been able to say that they have a poor light output.

To add to that I recently (within the last 2 months) had both replaced under warranty for a problem where they would just go out (there is a service alert for this) and did not notice any increase in light output with the new globes fitted.

Do you live and drive in a built-up area that is typically well lit? If so all low beam headlights will appear to have a reduced brightness.

Go for a drive into a dark area with no other lighting (e.g. street lights) and turn them on, you should find them quite effective and the high beam exceptional. Both perform well for standard factory globes.

There could also be another reason - how good is your eyesight?

To alter your lights without considering the effect on other drivers is to say the least annoying for everyone but you.

Edited by fuel miser

Thanks for the info!

Yeah~ I do agree with you to a certain degree... but I noticed that when I'm driving my dad's Audi A8 it has exceptional clarity and brightness without interfearing on-coming traffic.

I do wear specs but that doesn't seem to be an issue here. Whereas presara's high beam is very good (as tested on unlit roads in the country.

In reference to brightness:

It has somewhat to do with aim of the Presara headlights, they are aimed 5 to 10cm lower (from a wall two metres away from the vehicle) than most vehicles (even Lexus vehicles are aimed higher). The colour temperature of the Presara's bulbs does 'seem' to be lower than other cars as well.

The next time you are in the lane next to any vehicle with HIDs (very likely to be a Honda Accord Euro), note the height of the aim on the car in front of them, it will be quite higher than the Presara's.

The height of the light in the presara is due to the self/auto leveling employed, this may be why they are lower.

This also limits the amount of annoyance to other drivers.

Edited by fuel miser