Snow Chains for KX-S

Kahnx

I'm planning on heading up to the snow!

I want to either buy or hire chains.

Konig seem to be the most popular brand, and on their sizing chart for 245/55/19 tyres their chain size is '255'.

The hire/buy store in Mertylford Vic sell the 'Magic T2' or 'Magic V2' for $430, which are self tensioning.

They also sell a Chinese rip-off called the V2 without self tensioning and lower quality steel for $200.

The store advised that I check the owners manual for recommendations, if any, on limitations/advice for snow chains, for which the limiting factor is the clearance between the inside of the front tyre and the steering arm knuckle or other critical components.

My Question is: Has anyone bought or rented snow chains for a 19" Kluger, did you need a special low profile set, and how easy was it to find / buy / fit?

Cheers, and Thanks

Roger.

I'm planning on heading up to the snow!

I want to either buy or hire chains.

Konig seem to be the most popular brand, and on their sizing chart for 245/55/19 tyres their chain size is '255'.

The hire/buy store in Mertylford Vic sell the 'Magic T2' or 'Magic V2' for $430, which are self tensioning.

They also sell a Chinese rip-off called the V2 without self tensioning and lower quality steel for $200.

The store advised that I check the owners manual for recommendations, if any, on limitations/advice for snow chains, for which the limiting factor is the clearance between the inside of the front tyre and the steering arm knuckle or other critical components.

My Question is: Has anyone bought or rented snow chains for a 19" Kluger, did you need a special low profile set, and how easy was it to find / buy / fit?

Cheers, and Thanks

Roger.

I did similar analysis last year for RWD Grande but did not end up going skiing and hence did not purchase. Looking forward to owners comments

I have used chains on a number of occasions.

When the new Kluger first came out it was not listed on the size charts for any chain brand that I could find - finally had Konig confirm the correct size and made sure I tried them on before I purchased them.

I got Konig self-tensioning - not sure what "model" (T-magic etc) and can't recall size of the top of my head - $430 sounds about what I paid a couple of years ago

They work fine and are easy to put on (front wheels) and no issues at all with fit or clearance - have had to fit them 3 or 4 times in the past 3 years

I will have a look at the "model" and size when I get home tonite and post the info

Cheers

Edited by kluger2

• 3 weeks later...

I have a set of cheap chains which I had for my earlier car - a Land Rover Discovery HSE - which had 18inch wheels.

Coincidentally the wheel radius is similar for the Kluger 19inch wheels and they also fit the Kluger.

I have never used them - they just sit in the back to fulfil the law. AWD vehicles rarely have to use chains in Australia.

I would like to get Autosocks - size 698 - but they are not yet legal in Vic - I think they have been passed in NSW.

Autosocks on ebay

Kind regards

Hado