1990 camry - advice needed please!

purpleturtle

Hi everyone,

I am currently looking to buy my first car, which is quite a scary experience! However, a friend of mine has kindly offered to give me a 1990 Camry. It is running well and has had no major problems in the last 10 years. It has done just over 200,000ks. I am planning to get the RACQ to check it out first, not because i don't trust this person, but because neither of us know a lot about cars, and I don't want to be stung for $1000s of dollars in repairs just after I get it.

So I guess my question to you is, is this worth getting it inspected and roadworthy for such an old car? Will I still get five or more years out of it, or would it be better to buy a newer (but still cheap) car.

Also, do I have to pay stamp duty or government taxes if the car is given to me?

I really appreciate your help, as this is all new to me!

Hi everyone,

I am currently looking to buy my first car, which is quite a scary experience! However, a friend of mine has kindly offered to give me a 1990 Camry. It is running well and has had no major problems in the last 10 years. It has done just over 200,000ks. I am planning to get the RACQ to check it out first, not because i don't trust this person, but because neither of us know a lot about cars, and I don't want to be stung for $1000s of dollars in repairs just after I get it.

So I guess my question to you is, is this worth getting it inspected and roadworthy for such an old car? Will I still get five or more years out of it, or would it be better to buy a newer (but still cheap) car.

Also, do I have to pay stamp duty or government taxes if the car is given to me?

I really appreciate your help, as this is all new to me!

It is better if you provide bit more information like is it auto or manual etc.

Getting RACQ inspection is a good idea as it will highlight any problems needing urgent attention. As the car has done 200000 kms its needs some services like replacing timing belt and drive belts etc. Look at the condition of tires, any oil leaks, drive and handling, condition of CV jints by steering end to end and looking for any clicking sounds. Finally service history and log books if any.

If well maintained, you can expect the car to go well beyond 300000 to 350000 kms easily.

Even if you get the car for free, you may still have to pay stamp duty on its estimated market value.

Hope this helps

K8Canb

Thanks for your help, it's an automatic if that changes anything

That is fine, if it were to be manual then the clutch condition would have come into consideration.

By the way, the stamp duty for the car will not be lot, however, if you still want to save paying the duty, then keep the registration and insurance on your mates name!

K8Canb

If he is giving you the car for free then go for it :)

The inspection would cost approx $100 so thats not too bad to find out all the faults (if any)with the vehicle.

Plus the car is 20 yrs old so its still a good idea to get it done.

If you do decide not to go ahead with this car and after a Camry, i normally tell people to get 94+ Camry's 9 (Cant remember the model) as they are still pretty cheap and still fairly reliable :)

great cars the SV21 camry , ive worked on a bucket load of them as all of my close mates had them as first cars and not a single one had any issues , some of which were over the 500,000km mark and still going strong. Go for it mate , a great car

Have you considered a Fiat or Alfa Romeo? Great bargains available for under $5k, with the added bonus of European superiority and driving panache. Otherwise, consider a later model Corolla. The Camry you want is over 20 (!) years old & things have and will go wrong with a 20 year old car.

Have you considered a Fiat or Alfa Romeo? Great bargains available for under $5k, with the added bonus of European superiority and driving panache. Otherwise, consider a later model Corolla. The Camry you want is over 20 (!) years old & things have and will go wrong with a 20 year old car.

Hahaha

You say that as if the Fiat or Alfa would be more reliable than the camry?clap.gif

Dont forget it is his first car, and he is getting it for free. Even if you do have to end up spending $1000 to fix up a problem its still cheaper in the long run than buying another car.

I'd put all the money in my name towards a camry going longer than an old European.